Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   new topic.. other then me, who cheats? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-topic-other-then-me-who-cheats-t62952.html)

lazyquilter 09-03-2010 08:26 PM

There are things in quilting that I would like to be able to do, but for some reason It's just not going to happen. Well, as I hang my head in shame, I found e-bay. And I found, again head down, pre-made appliqued blocks and embroidery blocks. Now I can do a lot of the embroidery stuff, not a problem, but some of these are obviously done on a laser that is a bit more then the GO and STUDIO machines. And I bid on several various ones... bidding was not expensive and I have accumulated a nice selection of assorted pre-appliqued blocks of which I can use all of my own fabrics to build around the blocks and still make it mine without embarrassing myself. Unfortunately I can't lie, so when completing said project when I write Made with Love by .. put in a name... I was also add in very tiny letters "others". Has anyone else had help in this manner when they were wanting to whip up something that looked like it took a really long time? I have two that I am now putting together and I will post when completed. Also, the Braid is coming along delightfully and I am hoping to be able to post that when I get it pretty much together. I do want to thank everyone who offered me information, etc. on the braid. It's been quite enjoyable.

grins and affection, Blue

SharonAnne 09-03-2010 08:43 PM

I would love one of those fancy embroidery machines that do such beautiful patterns, but alas and alack, it will probably never happen... Soooo, I would do the same as you!!! You are giving credit to others, so I see nothing wrong with that.

nana pat 09-03-2010 09:14 PM

Would you also put down who grew the cotton, wove the fabric, spun the thread, etc..."Lovingly made by" sounds like you made it to me. Only my humble opinion.

MaryStoaks 09-03-2010 09:18 PM

Before I bought my embroidery machine I bought several groups of embroidered blocks to make quilts for gifts. They were low cost and well made. I only bought my machine because I wanted to expand my embroidery options and do more personalized quilts. Over the years I have bought tops that had beautiful vintage fabrics. Occasionally I still look on ebay for tops that I know I wouldn't want to make but would suit a special recipiant. I don't take credit for work I don't do and usually put info on the lable as to the source.

Candace 09-03-2010 09:50 PM

There is no shame in adding to your creativity. If pre-made stuff works for you, go for it!

costumegirl 09-03-2010 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
There is no shame in adding to your creativity. If pre-made stuff works for you, go for it!

I agree with Candice. It is fun to work with items that we like and we do what we can to accomplish what we want. :)

patricej 09-04-2010 12:30 AM

you aren't cheating. you are using your own talents and time wisely. you are taking advantage of today's technology and opportunities. you are using your own talents to showcase the talents of others.

where's the shame in any of that?

Lacelady 09-04-2010 12:34 AM

I don't regard that as cheating, we can't all afford the super duper machines that are all singing and all dancing.

ckcowl 09-04-2010 02:50 AM

cheating is such a negative word; you are not doing anything negative so don't diminsh your creativity. using those is no different than using any printed fabric, no need to send credit away from your work. i would think you would only include something on a tag if you purchased some hand embroidered block that aunt ... made and they are selling off her stuff...but machine made bulk blocks...that is the same as buying Michael Miller novelty blocks and using them. they were created for you to add your own creativity to. so go for it totally guilt free ! :)

earlylace 09-04-2010 03:24 AM

NO QUILT POLICE HERE!!!!!