Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: new topic.. other then me, who cheats?

There are things in quilting that I would like to be able to do, but for some reason It's just not going to happen. Well, as I hang my head in shame, I found e-bay. And I found, again head down, pre-made appliqued blocks and embroidery blocks. Now I can do a lot of the embroidery stuff, not a problem, but some of these are obviously done on a laser that is a bit more then the GO and STUDIO machines. And I bid on several various ones... bidding was not expensive and I have accumulated a nice selection of assorted pre-appliqued blocks of which I can use all of my own fabrics to build around the blocks and still make it mine without embarrassing myself. Unfortunately I can't lie, so when completing said project when I write Made with Love by .. put in a name... I was also add in very tiny letters "others". Has anyone else had help in this manner when they were wanting to whip up something that looked like it took a really long time? I have two that I am now putting together and I will post when completed. Also, the Braid is coming along delightfully and I am hoping to be able to post that when I get it pretty much together. I do want to thank everyone who offered me information, etc. on the braid. It's been quite enjoyable.

grins and affection, Blue

I would love one of those fancy embroidery machines that do such beautiful patterns, but alas and alack, it will probably never happen... Soooo, I would do the same as you!!! You are giving credit to others, so I see nothing wrong with that.

Would you also put down who grew the cotton, wove the fabric, spun the thread, etc..."Lovingly made by" sounds like you made it to me. Only my humble opinion.

Before I bought my embroidery machine I bought several groups of embroidered blocks to make quilts for gifts. They were low cost and well made. I only bought my machine because I wanted to expand my embroidery options and do more personalized quilts. Over the years I have bought tops that had beautiful vintage fabrics. Occasionally I still look on ebay for tops that I know I wouldn't want to make but would suit a special recipiant. I don't take credit for work I don't do and usually put info on the lable as to the source.

There is no shame in adding to your creativity. If pre-made stuff works for you, go for it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    There is no shame in adding to your creativity. If pre-made stuff works for you, go for it!
    I agree with Candice. It is fun to work with items that we like and we do what we can to accomplish what we want. :)

Blog Entries
    you aren't cheating. you are using your own talents and time wisely. you are taking advantage of today's technology and opportunities. you are using your own talents to showcase the talents of others.

where's the shame in any of that?

Blog Entries
    I don't regard that as cheating, we can't all afford the super duper machines that are all singing and all dancing.

Blog Entries
    cheating is such a negative word; you are not doing anything negative so don't diminsh your creativity. using those is no different than using any printed fabric, no need to send credit away from your work. i would think you would only include something on a tag if you purchased some hand embroidered block that aunt ... made and they are selling off her stuff...but machine made bulk blocks...that is the same as buying Michael Miller novelty blocks and using them. they were created for you to add your own creativity to. so go for it totally guilt free ! :)

NO QUILT POLICE HERE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nana pat
    Would you also put down who grew the cotton, wove the fabric, spun the thread, etc..."Lovingly made by" sounds like you made it to me. Only my humble opinion.
    I agree. You bought the blocks just like you bought the rest of the fabric. It's your creativity that's turning the blocks and the fabric into a quilt. Without that they would be just blocks. My humble opinion is that in making an effort to share the credit you aren't giving enough to yourself. No, it doesn't bother me at all to use someone else's blocks. If I've paid for them they become mine. Now, if I've used blocks that mom, grandma or a friend made then I give them credit. Like saying, "Lovingly made from blocks that Mom pieced" or something like that.
    And yes, I've used blocks and even whole quilt tops that I've purchased.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I second nana..

Would u give credit to the store whom you bought pre-cut charms & Jellies from?? Same thing in my book..

Now if Aunt Edna or quilter friend Barbara made embroidered blocks that you have used I would definitely give credit where credit is due. No credit needed for 'mass production' stuff.

Well that's my opinion anyway..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I don't regard that as cheating, we can't all afford the super duper machines that are all singing and all dancing.
    :thumbup:

I must thank you all as I thought it was an interesting concept for these times. But, as I am quite sure you are all of the same thinking, that taking the time to genuinely work with what we love is always in first place. And yes, sometimes creativity, time constriants, etc. cause us to sometimes circumvent parts that could be better done by others and including with our imaginantion. I more then enjoyed the responses. And I am sure those who were paid for their cottage industries were happy to have the money coming in. I must say I was stunned by the amount of quilting items, fabrics, pre-mades, etc. that are now on E-bay. And I wish I had one special talent to just do that constantly and with perfection to earn money in that manner.

Blue...

People make the blocks available so -you- can create your vision. Sometimes it takes other peoples skills
    or tools to complete your vision.

I've used panels several times. I guess that's cheating, as well?

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    I agree with these two ladies :)

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I second nana..

Would u give credit to the store whom you bought pre-cut charms & Jellies from?? Same thing in my book..

Now if Aunt Edna or quilter friend Barbara made embroidered blocks that you have used I would definitely give credit where credit is due. No credit needed for 'mass production' stuff.

Well that's my opinion anyway..

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by earlylace
    NO QUILT POLICE HERE!!!!!
    I agree!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    To true I never piece always buy quilt tops, it is hand quilting that is my love and don't feel guilty -------why should I, I am doing what I want to!!!

Blog Entries
    I don't see that as "cheating" at all. You are purchasing a block much like you are purchasing fabric. What you do with it afterwards is all your own creativity...I agree with all the other comments.

PJO

I can buy quilt tops off from Ebay cheaper than I can buy the material and make them. I always tell the person who recieves them that all I did was add the backing, batting and quilting - that someone else made the top. I take credit for my work only.

I had never thought of doing that. Sounds like a great idea to me! I knew that I would never invest that much money for a machine to do something I would seldom use. Thanks for the tip.

I bought blocks on eBay recently...some are fused applique but the others are pieced. I'm a newbie so I don't have a big stash of scraps to practice on and the scraps I do have are expensive fabric and I won't use them for practice. All of the blocks I bought were very inexpensive and well made. I need practice with machine applique and FMQ.

Six of the blocks are lovely dresden plates that I machine appliqued to make a (still in progress) small quilt top. It will be beautiful and I will give it to a friend as a thank-you gift. I'll post a pic when it's finished.

For me, buying those blocks was less expensive than buying fabric and I supported several sewers who have their own businesses. And I definitely was surprised how many completed blocks and tops are for sale on eBay.

Just off the top of my head, I'd credit "others" as you have suggested. I've read so many posts here about quilts that have been discovered at estate sales, yard sales, Goodwill and various other places that weren't labeled and left the purchaser wondering. Any information on the labels is an important part of the history and making of the quilt, regardless of who inherits it. It's only right to give credit due to whoever helped make the completed project, even if you don't have the actual name. IMHO only.

Sandra Lee does semi-homemade foods so why not semi-homemade quilts? :) also in the embroidery industry-if the embellishment is what you enjoy, rather than constructing the entire garment, you buy a blank garment and then you do your thing. to buy pre-made blocks or tops is no different. Life is too short to not do what you love!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast