Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New Year's Day Mystery Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-years-day-mystery-quilt-t14365.html)

mumtoliam 01-02-2009 05:20 PM

Patsy that is beautiful!!! I cant wait to see it with its border on! I also squared up my HST last night too - I had some AMAZON ones that needed trimming and then I had 6 that werent quite right. I had to unpick. Not too bad out of 96.

I am still doing the bias binding... and then I cant wait to put it together!!!!

mumtoliam 01-02-2009 05:23 PM

Scrap -cant wait to see yours and your mum's quilt in progress too... How did you do the bias - did you use ricrac or machine stitch it on?

b.zang 01-02-2009 07:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I've been working on the mystery quilt, too, with a late start and many interruptions. After several layouts, my husband picked dark symmetry - and without seeing your lovely examples! I bought twill tape, but the store didn't have enough of any one colour, so I mixed them, hoping it would be hidden in the quilt. So now I think I'll make some bias binding :evil: which I hate pressing. When the instruction said "think ocean or oriental", I thought desert.

Without the curves fastened down yet, I tried variations to see whether I liked the dark or light framed better. It's interesting to see how the same pattern looks so different simply by turning the curves.

The final design chosen.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24080[/ATTACH]

What it looks like with dark centers.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24081[/ATTACH]

I kind of liked this one; it reminded me of the desert ripples.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24082[/ATTACH]

mary quite contrary 01-02-2009 07:04 PM

I like that last one best of the 3 layouts.

SaraSewing 01-02-2009 07:07 PM

Wow, that last photo, BZang is beautiful. You sure have a good eye for color and layout. I love all the projects that you guys are posting. I worked all holidays, but followed it hour by hour last year. Now I can hardly wait to do it!!!

sewsewquilter 01-02-2009 07:10 PM

B.zang I like the one you captioned "I kind of liked this one; it reminded me of the desert ripples." To me they look like braided rope or chain.

All the layouts are pretty. It's neat to see how different they look by changing the curve :D

Janstar 01-02-2009 07:13 PM

What a fun pattern for you guys! They all look great and I'm so surprised to see how many layouts you can get with it. Good job!!!!!!!!

Yvonne 01-02-2009 07:52 PM

Barbara,
Thanks for sharing the change in colors. WOW! What a difference!!! The darker one looks very closed in while the lighter one is open and 'free', at least in my eyes. I am considering that bottom layout also for my violets. Right now I'm not sure what will happen. I still have six more to put the arcs on and I only have rickrack on three. Long ways yet to go!

Sara, I knew we were missing someone this year. This years quilt isn't going to be as large as last years, thank goodness. I also haven't been as crazy this year. I think I learned after last year to just go with the flow and do what I could and finish when I was done! :lol: Come on Sara, go get the directions quickly and make us another one.

Country Quilter 01-03-2009 01:17 AM

I like the last one too....altho the second one is very appealing as well! Your color combo is great! Isn't it fun to play and see which way you like it best!? :)

mumtoliam 01-03-2009 01:28 AM

I love the change from dark to light but definitely the last one "desert ripples" is the best!!!

I also made bias binding - This will take me a few days to finish as I am hand sewing it on! :(