Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-problem-t187020.html)

auntiem 04-24-2012 03:32 AM

Newbie problem

Hi, I'm a newbie here and to quilting, but already need help. I have a Baby Lock Quest Plus which my DH gave me a few years ago for my BD---sweet man! I have sewn for 40+ years but never tried quilting before this year so am a total newbie at this. My problem is that when I start a 1/4" seam, my machine is feeding the fabric down into the needle hole on the plate, I am using the 1/4" quilting foot and the machine's PDQ system which should help with even feeding of the fabric. Any ideas on how to prevent this would be great and so appreciated. I don't want to get frustrated before I really get started, I'm sure there will be many better reasons to get frustrated down the road with this new undertaking! Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Wanabee Quiltin 04-24-2012 04:05 AM

Yes, I had this too. I read somewhere to take a small scrape of fabric and start sewing in the middle of the fabric and then keep on piecing your quilting fabric. It works everytime. I have a nice little basket on my desk and when I trim my blocks, whatever, I take those small pieces of fabric and put them in the basket for my start fabric. I know that Bonnie Hunter uses hers for making quilts, called Leaders and Enders. Look for her on the Internet on her blog.

auntiem 04-24-2012 04:15 AM

Thank you for the help, like most people, I should have no problem finding small pieces of fabric in my sewing room! I'll give it a try this afternoon. I'll check the Bonnie Hunter blog too, I'm always looking for quilting info/pictures/tutorials, especially tutorials!

jeemmerling621 04-24-2012 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin (Post 5165841)
Yes, I had this too. I read somewhere to take a small scrape of fabric and start sewing in the middle of the fabric and then keep on piecing your quilting fabric. It works everytime. I have a nice little basket on my desk and when I trim my blocks, whatever, I take those small pieces of fabric and put them in the basket for my start fabric. I know that Bonnie Hunter uses hers for making quilts, called Leaders and Enders. Look for her on the Internet on her blog.

You are totally right. The leader scrap or fabric will pull back the fabric as you sew and prevent your machine from getting hungry and eating your fabric!

Jingle 04-24-2012 04:43 AM

Sorry, I have never had this problem.

mltquilt 04-24-2012 04:44 AM

Also, check out Bonnie Hunter's website regarding leaders and enders. She sews two blocks together instead of using a scrap of fabric.

mltquilt

romanojg 04-24-2012 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by jeemmerling621 (Post 5165874)
You are totally right. The leader scrap or fabric will pull back the fabric as you sew and prevent your machine from getting hungry and eating your fabric!

I'll chime in here too. This is the best and an easy fix to the problem.

Crqltr 04-24-2012 04:53 AM

Leader fabric should work...and welcome to the board and the wonderful world of quilting from Michigan

crafty pat 04-24-2012 04:56 AM

Welcome from SC Texas. So happy you joined us, as you have found out with the good help you got here there is always someone ready to help.

gollytwo 04-24-2012 04:56 AM

I think your problem has been solved so I just want to welcome you to the Board.