Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-problem-t187020.html)

BLAP 04-24-2012 01:06 PM

I agree about the leaders and enders but I also found that if I use a single hole metal plate instead of the regular one on the machine it helps stop this problem. This is the plate that is on your machine that covers the area ariund the feed dogs and where the needle goes down into the bobbin.

GrannieAnnie 04-24-2012 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by auntiem (Post 5165762)
Hi, I'm a newbie here and to quilting, but already need help. I have a Baby Lock Quest Plus which my DH gave me a few years ago for my BD---sweet man! I have sewn for 40+ years but never tried quilting before this year so am a total newbie at this. My problem is that when I start a 1/4" seam, my machine is feeding the fabric down into the needle hole on the plate, I am using the 1/4" quilting foot and the machine's PDQ system which should help with even feeding of the fabric. Any ideas on how to prevent this would be great and so appreciated. I don't want to get frustrated before I really get started, I'm sure there will be many better reasons to get frustrated down the road with this new undertaking! Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me.

I use a piece of paper for a lead on seams----and tuck maybe a stitch or two of the envelope under the fabric. The paper tears away easily when completed.

While you're stitching, "assembly line" as many sets of pieces as you can to say the paper aggravation.

Dolphyngyrl 04-24-2012 04:46 PM

Leaders, or if you have one a straight stitch plate that came with your machine

virtualbernie 04-24-2012 05:58 PM

GrannieAnnie, that's a great idea using paper! I never thought of that!

Jan in VA 04-24-2012 08:59 PM

Most quilters use a 75/11 or an 80/12 Universal needle for piecing cotton quilting fabrics. Change it often, at least with every project. All your other answers are wonderful, too.

Jan in VA

Scissor Queen 04-24-2012 09:12 PM

I don't use universal needles. Universal needles just aren't that great. I use quilting needles for piecing because they're designed to go thru multiple layers and topstitch needles for quilting because they cut down on thread fraying.

Sewflower 04-25-2012 02:31 AM

I use bonnie hunters method. I attended her class once. She is a great teacher. Welcome and her is a link to her site: www.quiltville.com

ChaiQuilter 04-25-2012 06:02 PM

Do you have a straight stitch plate? It would help keep the fabric from bunching.

Musicmom2 04-26-2012 03:00 AM

[QUOTE... I read somewhere to take a small scrape of fabric and start sewing in the middle of the fabric and then keep on piecing your quilting fabric. It works everytime....[/QUOTE]

I use scrap paper... notebook, copy... whatever. It works very well and the paper rips off very easily when you're done. :)

Retired Fire Chief 04-26-2012 03:08 AM

Let me try this once again, I don't think my first quick reply posted - a trick I was taught at a quilt class I attended was to gently pull both your threads, bobbin and spool threads, out behind your foot when you first start. You won't get the feeding into the hole this way, I found it works every time.