Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-problem-t187020.html)

Geri B 04-26-2012 06:17 AM

leaders and enders by bonnie hunter is the great way of getting two for one.........or you can see if the dealer of your machine has ther faceplate with only a hole in it instead of the universal one......helps to keep needle from dragging fabric into machine.....I personally cut the squares with my Go die cutter, have the basket next to machine and away I go. Start and end with another "pair of squares" which will one day be a scrappy.......

SooBDo 04-26-2012 06:36 AM

Welcome to the board, and may you have many happy hours here, and quilting! All the advice here is spot on. When I had this problem, my dealer had an additional piece of advice: While your faceplate is off, gently remove any dust that has built up under it. You'd be surprised how much dust you get from thread and material. This seems to help.

riutzelj 04-26-2012 08:27 AM

having anything to grab solves the problem: small piece of fabric, coffee filter, stiff interfacing. Use whatever is available. same works for dressmaker sewing on small areas:collars, cuffs, etc.

penski 04-26-2012 08:29 AM

i had that problem also and leaer fabric is the solution

penski 04-26-2012 08:30 AM

sorry i miss spelled that word it is supposed to be leader

margecam52 04-26-2012 08:32 AM

Welcome from Littlefield, TX! Use a leader strip when I am going to do strips...saves a lot of machine eaten edges.

linhawk 04-26-2012 09:52 AM

which plate?

Are you using the zig zag plate? That could cause the problem. Use the straight stictch , the one with the smaller opening.
Hope this helps

Originally Posted by auntiem (Post 5165762)
................. My problem is that when I start a 1/4" seam, my machine is feeding the fabric down into the needle hole on the plate, I am using the 1/4" quilting foot and the machine's PDQ system which should help with even feeding of the fabric. Any ideas on how to prevent this would be great and so appreciated. I don't want to get frustrated before I really get started, I'm sure there will be many better reasons to get frustrated down the road with this new undertaking! Thank you in advance for any help anyone can give me.

quiltmom04 04-26-2012 12:32 PM

I have a single needle plate for my machine. It just has one tiny hole for the needle, not the slot like a regular needle plate. This means only the needle gets below the needle plate, not the needle and a bunch up of fabric. It seems like a luxury, but it helps sooooo much and I use it for all my piecing.

crtwelvecats 04-26-2012 01:00 PM

I'm sure the people above are right. But being a newbie I found I just needed to turn my plate on the machine around for the small hole and not use the hole for zig-zagging. Now that was a duh moment LOL.....Felt really dumb at that point for sure

maryellen2u 04-26-2012 02:17 PM

Welcome to a great group! I found that if I changed my throat plate to one with a circle, my problem was solved.