Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   newbie question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-question-t193876.html)

wendygirl 07-07-2012 09:58 AM

newbie question

I've only been quilting for about a year and a half, but I think I already have a few UFO's. Is there a time limit to get a quilt completely finished , quilted and bound before it becomes a UFO? It seems when I'm piecing, I wish I were shopping and when I'm shoppin, I think I should be at home working!!! Is this normal?...not that any of us know what normal is lol!

dunster 07-07-2012 10:06 AM

If it attracts cobwebs, it's a UFO.:eek:

delma_paulk 07-07-2012 10:18 AM

sounds normal to me, well, that is what I do also, what you do. Don't think there is a time limit on these, I'm working on one now I did 5 years ago. AND have a couple older than that one.

delma

DogHouseMom 07-07-2012 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5346141)
If it attracts cobwebs, it's a UFO.:eek:

Ack!! You've been peeking in my sewing room!!

jcrow 07-07-2012 10:46 AM

I have quilts that are all cut out, some that are all the blocks are finished, some that the fabric and pattern are picked out, some that I've made quarter square triangles for, lots that just need the binding. All of these have been sitting around for a long time. I always find something new that excites me more than those and I can't wait to start my new project. Then I find another "new" project.

Grandma Peg 07-07-2012 10:58 AM

Agree with others, there is no time limit. Finally made a quilt from blocks I won at our guild from 2005 - kinda sad but now that it's done I love it and there was a reason they were hiding in my closet (had to have the right time).

sandy l 07-07-2012 11:26 AM

I figure as soon as I start something else, the piece I was working on and it's not finished, it became a UFO. And as to how long it will sit there being a UFO, who knows:D

ckcowl 07-07-2012 11:33 AM

for me there is a difference between a 'WIP' and a 'UFO'--- A WIP is a 'work in progress- it may take a year or more- but i stay actively working on it.
a UFO is an 'unfinished object' it is no longer being worked on- has been put away- (or hid away in the back of a closet) and i do not know if i will ever finish it---for what ever reason i have 'moved on'
it is normal for me to work on a number of projects at the same time- i think i have 5 right now- none of which are UFO's- those i do sometimes dig out (or simply come across again) & think about working on them sometimes---and sometimes i even finish one- but they are definitly different from my WIP's. :thumbup:

ghostrider 07-07-2012 11:44 AM

There is absolutely no rule that says everything has to be finished within a certain time period...or ever for that matter. Some quilts simply do not merit the time and energy it would take to complete them. Others are like fine wine or cheese...they need time to mature before the final stitches are added. There should be no guilt in quilting, it stiffles creativity.

bearisgray 07-07-2012 12:14 PM

Some projects end up being like math homework. Hopefully, one learned something in the process - but the project itself is no longer 'useful' or wanted.

(Getting rid of it does become a bit of a problem. Old homework one can dump easily - getting rid of anything with fabric involved is very difficult for me)