Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: newbie question

newbie question

I've only been quilting for about a year and a half, but I think I already have a few UFO's. Is there a time limit to get a quilt completely finished , quilted and bound before it becomes a UFO? It seems when I'm piecing, I wish I were shopping and when I'm shoppin, I think I should be at home working!!! Is this normal?...not that any of us know what normal is lol!
    She's Crafty!
    Wendygirl

If it attracts cobwebs, it's a UFO.

sounds normal to me, well, that is what I do also, what you do. Don't think there is a time limit on these, I'm working on one now I did 5 years ago. AND have a couple older than that one.

delma

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Ack!! You've been peeking in my sewing room!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have quilts that are all cut out, some that are all the blocks are finished, some that the fabric and pattern are picked out, some that I've made quarter square triangles for, lots that just need the binding. All of these have been sitting around for a long time. I always find something new that excites me more than those and I can't wait to start my new project. Then I find another "new" project.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Power Poster
    Agree with others, there is no time limit. Finally made a quilt from blocks I won at our guild from 2005 - kinda sad but now that it's done I love it and there was a reason they were hiding in my closet (had to have the right time).

Blog Entries
    I figure as soon as I start something else, the piece I was working on and it's not finished, it became a UFO. And as to how long it will sit there being a UFO, who knows

Blog Entries
    for me there is a difference between a 'WIP' and a 'UFO'--- A WIP is a 'work in progress- it may take a year or more- but i stay actively working on it.
    a UFO is an 'unfinished object' it is no longer being worked on- has been put away- (or hid away in the back of a closet) and i do not know if i will ever finish it---for what ever reason i have 'moved on'
    it is normal for me to work on a number of projects at the same time- i think i have 5 right now- none of which are UFO's- those i do sometimes dig out (or simply come across again) & think about working on them sometimes---and sometimes i even finish one- but they are definitly different from my WIP's.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

There is absolutely no rule that says everything has to be finished within a certain time period...or ever for that matter. Some quilts simply do not merit the time and energy it would take to complete them. Others are like fine wine or cheese...they need time to mature before the final stitches are added. There should be no guilt in quilting, it stiffles creativity.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Power Poster
    Some projects end up being like math homework. Hopefully, one learned something in the process - but the project itself is no longer 'useful' or wanted.

(Getting rid of it does become a bit of a problem. Old homework one can dump easily - getting rid of anything with fabric involved is very difficult for me)

For ME, things are Works in Progress until the New Year. Then, even if they were started on 12/31, they become UFO's and can be counted for the UFO Challenge on another online group I belong to. I still have a couple that are, oh, I don't know, 25 years old or so ... and yes, I'm still interested in them ... just not today.

I don't think there is a time limit. I have about 12 UFO's: some need backing, some need blocks finished, and some have been forgotten. I don't remember what needs to be done on them. I will finish them all sometime--I just don't know when--but I won't allow myself to start another project until some of them are finished. You notice I said some of them, not ALL of them. I also have fabric bought for several projects that I want to make. I am pitiful I know.
    Sue

Think I'm starting to scare myself.. I have no UFO's.. I'm working on a major project, and it's been going for almost a year.. I'm working on four quilts that are the same, and working on them together.. I must really be nuts.. The last time I made two denim quilts, and promised myself I wouldn't do that again.. Ughhh..

Quilts that get put on a "back burner" get to be UFO's. I think most of us have them. But often we will pick it up years later and finish it.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Hilarious!!!
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Smile

Who cares as long as you are working on something and enjoying yourself! Up and until you have to walk through the paths around your stacks of WIP/UFO's to get to the kitchen. Then you have a problem. Nope, we're not there yet but I'm working on it!
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Quote Originally Posted by wendygirl View Post
    I've only been quilting for about a year and a half, but I think I already have a few UFO's. Is there a time limit to get a quilt completely finished , quilted and bound before it becomes a UFO? It seems when I'm piecing, I wish I were shopping and when I'm shoppin, I think I should be at home working!!! Is this normal?...not that any of us know what normal is lol!

Does it count if you look at it every couple months???? then it's not a UFO, yet????????????
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
    Think I'm starting to scare myself.. I have no UFO's.. I'm working on a major project, and it's been going for almost a year.. I'm working on four quilts that are the same, and working on them together.. I must really be nuts.. The last time I made two denim quilts, and promised myself I wouldn't do that again.. Ughhh..

No partially completed knitting projects, either? Or crochet projects? or half done drapes for the dining room?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

The time limit on a quilt from selecting pattern and fabric to finishing the binding is......Start to Finish! There is no real time limit. It's all up to you. If you put it aside to work on something else then it is technically a UFO, or it's a "quilt in waiting." Why burden yourself with names....just enjoy the process and work on whatever you are in the mood to do.

Quote Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
    Think I'm starting to scare myself.. I have no UFO's....
    I'm with you - in fact I've more than scared myself! I think I'm becoming obsessed about UFOs to point of illness . The only UFO I have is a Cathedral Windows runner from a class that I got sucked into unwittingly (didn't realise how much HAND SEWING there was). I carry it from class to class like a pet. It lurks in the deepest recesses of my bag, waiting to see the light of day (NEVER going to happen).
    In fact, has become my security UFO - as long as I have it, I finish all my new projects before starting a new one...

(PS Before you start congratulating (or committing) me I should perhaps mention that I am/was a knitter and that is a whole different story......)
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

I have one that I started in 1983...

That makes me laugh! I just finished a quilt I started when I was pregnant with my first son. That was 1979!! My "baby" is 33 years old now.

I made a quilt for my sister and brother in law, sandwiched and ready to quilt, it's been under the bed over 4 years. I think it might be an MIA. They got a big dog that sleeps on the bed and she does want to put the quilt on the bed yet, thank goodness. So hurry up and wait. It will get done.

I don't worry about a time limit unless it's something for a gift that has to be done. I try to allow plenty extra time even when it's a gift because sometimes I just get tired of a project, and want to do something quick and easy like a rag quilt or pillowcases, or bibs. These small quick projects give instant gratification!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I don't have UFO's. That makes them seem like a lost cause. I call them "WIP" -works in progress ! Ive had projects for several years or more that were unfinished for one reason or another and I have picked up some again and finished them. So I say - no time limit. If you really hate them, pass them on to your quilt guild. I'm sure someone would love to have your project to work on! And if you are just frustrated or tired of it for the time being - just bag it up. Your skills will get better and your patience will increase and you may finish it at some point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast