Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scrap Therapy - Cut the Scraps, 7 steps

Blog Entries

Scrap Therapy - Cut the Scraps, 7 steps

Have any of you read this book, "Scrap Therapy-Cut the Scraps" by Joan Ford? I am thinking of purchasing it, but wonder if there is a better one out there. I sure need to do something with my scap piles.

http://www.amazon.com/ScrapTherapy-C.../dp/1600853331
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Do check out Bonnie Hunter's site- www.quiltville.com She has lots of patterns, and gives ideas for organizing.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    No but sounds like a good idea.
    Linda

Banned
    Looks like a nice book, but if I only was buying one I'd go for Bonnie Hunter's original Scraps and Shirttails.

Amazon sells it. Unlike most of the books on Amazon, Hunter's are not discounted unfortunately

I have the book, and it's great, but like Mariposa, I like Bonnie Hunter's site. She has just about every pattern
    you could think of.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo View Post
    Looks like a nice book, but if I only was buying one I'd go for Bonnie Hunter's original Scraps and Shirttails.

Amazon sells it. Unlike most of the books on Amazon, Hunter's are not discounted unfortunately
    bonnie hunter must have strict control over the pricing of her books because her books are not discounted on any sites i have seen them on.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

I borrowed the book from the library and then my husband bought me this magazine which has the same 7 steps in it plus patterns. It might be more economical than the book. I don't think it's available in stores any longer though as it said to be displayed through June.

http://store.threadsmagazine.com/qui...rd-034022.html

I would look at the way I piece. I love Bonnie H. She has many great patterns. Many common domain blocks. I have taken 3 classes with her. I learned something new in each one. That being said, I would evaluate the size of my blocks. How many scraps do I have? I have 4 large bins full of my scraps. I also would decide on my most frequently used sizes of blocks strips and squares. Do I always make 12inch finished blocks? Do I use a lot of 2-1/2 inch strips? Do I use 4-1/2 inch squares or 5 inch or 3-1/2 inch? It depends on the types of quilts you will be making. I also do needleturn applique. So I will seperate the smaller pieces for the applique scraps. Then there is the uneven strip pieced quilt blocks, as well as crumb quilts. I know it is a large job for me. Hubby is away for a week and I am pulling out all the scraps and finally organizing them. I agree check out a few scrappy quilters sites and blend the sizes for your needs! Enjoy revisiting the old fabric! But have fun with the process! Luann in CT
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
    I borrowed the book from the library and then my husband bought me this magazine which has the same 7 steps in it plus patterns. It might be more economical than the book. I don't think it's available in stores any longer though as it said to be displayed through June.

http://store.threadsmagazine.com/qui...rd-034022.html
    Thank you for the link. This is more than half the price of the book and I was interested in the 7 steps to cutting scraps more than the patterns, so this is perfect. Thank you. I also checked out Bonnie Hunter's web site. Wow, lots of patterns and ideas once I get my scraps organized! All very helpful.
    Robin
    Southern California

cjr
    When I first started quilting i took a class on Scrap therapy at our LQS. There is also a web site www.scraptherapy. I also read BonnieH web site on scraps. I have combined my storage and processing of scraps using both methods. As crartterrin1 has said find out what is going to work for you. As I work a project, I cut down strips for future projects on small pieces. Anything more then a fq I do not cut up unless it is a color I use a lot of. when I'm piecing any cut offs or left overs go into a small basket (plastic 6 x 8 Inches or so). When i have collected a few baskets and when the mood strikes me, i will sort by sizes and put in proper drawer.

I go to my precuts constantly when I only need a little bit of fabric. I make a lot of table runners, and sort of scrappy quilts. It sure saves getting out a larger piece of fabric to cut a small piece off

If this helps the following are my chosen scrap sizes:
    2" sq, 21/2" sq, 31/2' SQ, 5" sq, 2" strips, 21/2" strips, 3" strips, 4" strips, 5" stips, less the a fq folded, less then 2" strips, finally corner clippings, thread clippings, salvages etc into a container to make dog beds. As I cut off bindings I sew 1/2sq triangles for future projects or make pinwheels if there are enough projects.
    www.etsy.com/shop/quiltinglycaroline

cjr
    PS to above comments I also save pieces for what is referred to as bricks 21/2" x 4
    -6" size
    www.etsy.com/shop/quiltinglycaroline

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ripbooks%2C319

The full book is available at Amazon.com for $7.99.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

I have the book and really think it's great. I use both Scrap Therapy for cutting scraps and Bonnie Hunters organization method. The combination works well for me.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

I have the Scrap Therapy book and I am very pleased with Joan Ford's Scrap system. I thnk that the book is very well written. So far I have made one quilt from the book but I have made several other scrap quilts from the scraps that I had organized according to this method. This system has worked very well for me.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for all the great information. I can't wait to start cutting my scraps and organizing them and finally using them for a quilt!
    Robin
    Southern California

Sending you pm about the magazine.

I have the book and like it, but I'm using my own sizes. I've used my last two "sew-ins" with friends to cut scraps and really made a lot of progress. It's so easy and I don't have to lug my machine around.

Quote Originally Posted by cjr View Post
    When I first started quilting i took a class on Scrap therapy at our LQS. There is also a web site www.scraptherapy. I also read BonnieH web site on scraps. I have combined my storage and processing of scraps using both methods. As crartterrin1 has said find out what is going to work for you. As I work a project, I cut down strips for future projects on small pieces. Anything more then a fq I do not cut up unless it is a color I use a lot of. when I'm piecing any cut offs or left overs go into a small basket (plastic 6 x 8 Inches or so). When i have collected a few baskets and when the mood strikes me, i will sort by sizes and put in proper drawer.

I go to my precuts constantly when I only need a little bit of fabric. I make a lot of table runners, and sort of scrappy quilts. It sure saves getting out a larger piece of fabric to cut a small piece off

If this helps the following are my chosen scrap sizes:
    2" sq, 21/2" sq, 31/2' SQ, 5" sq, 2" strips, 21/2" strips, 3" strips, 4" strips, 5" stips, less the a fq folded, less then 2" strips, finally corner clippings, thread clippings, salvages etc into a container to make dog beds. As I cut off bindings I sew 1/2sq triangles for future projects or make pinwheels if there are enough projects.
    I tried to access the link you furnished but it's a no go. Has anyone else had problems with it? And when I Google "scraptherapy", I get scrap booking sites. Weird...
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

I recently spent a whole weekend organizing my scraps using this system. Now I just need to find some extra time so I can use my 'organized' scraps. Have to finish my UFOs first. LOL

Haven't read it but looks like a book I could add to my collection!
    Thank You Lord for answering my prayers, in this I am truely blessed!

I have the book but can't find it so don't want to give you an evaluation. Bonnie Hunter also recommends cutting 2 x3 1/2, 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 bricks. She also recommends not saving a strip less than 12" long. I cut those up if I can or put them in my strip quilting bin. I also cut 1 1/2 squares and strips. I have visions of a minature quilt in my future.

I have been working with Joan Ford's methods and books for 4 or 5 years and have made most of the patterns in her book and most in the original program. Now I am using other patterns that use the same size squares. Love all the projects. Quite a few I've done 3 to 16 blocks and made tablerunners, wallhangings, and such. Wonderful for gifts.

I also like Bonnie Hunter's website. Lots of good projects using similar methods and sizes.

Both feed my need to make "scrappy" quilts.

Like everyone else here is saying - this looks like a good book and Bonnie Hunter's site is also wonderful. I recently received a huge amount of batik scraps and have been using her advice to tame them. I like the look of the Ford book, though.
    http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
    Pat

Mine are somewhat organized. I do try to cut most into 2 and 1/2 inch strips. I do have a large tote though that is just filled with all kinds of pieces, hadn't looked in there for a while though, it'll be like christmas when I do!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
    bonnie hunter must have strict control over the pricing of her books because her books are not discounted on any sites i have seen them on.
    I noticed this too - but I have a feeling this has more to do with the publisher than Bonnie. I almost wonder if she is paid based on what she sells or if she makes a percentage from each book sale because she was really pushing the books (in the most discreet and unpushy way) when she visited our guild.

Either way her books are great, she's very open and generous with her patterns and knowledge and I'm happy to give her the money to keep her out there doing what she does. I have never heard of this Scrap Therapy book but it sound interesting and I'll have to give that website a look!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast