Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrap Therapy - Cut the Scraps, 7 steps >

Scrap Therapy - Cut the Scraps, 7 steps

Scrap Therapy - Cut the Scraps, 7 steps

Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 AM

I have the book but can't find it so don't want to give you an evaluation. Bonnie Hunter also recommends cutting 2 x3 1/2, 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 and 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 bricks. She also recommends not saving a strip less than 12" long. I cut those up if I can or put them in my strip quilting bin. I also cut 1 1/2 squares and strips. I have visions of a minature quilt in my future.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:52 AM

I have been working with Joan Ford's methods and books for 4 or 5 years and have made most of the patterns in her book and most in the original program. Now I am using other patterns that use the same size squares. Love all the projects. Quite a few I've done 3 to 16 blocks and made tablerunners, wallhangings, and such. Wonderful for gifts.

I also like Bonnie Hunter's website. Lots of good projects using similar methods and sizes.

Both feed my need to make "scrappy" quilts.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:55 AM

Like everyone else here is saying - this looks like a good book and Bonnie Hunter's site is also wonderful. I recently received a huge amount of batik scraps and have been using her advice to tame them. I like the look of the Ford book, though.
http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml
Old 07-06-2012, 04:13 AM

Mine are somewhat organized. I do try to cut most into 2 and 1/2 inch strips. I do have a large tote though that is just filled with all kinds of pieces, hadn't looked in there for a while though, it'll be like christmas when I do!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
bonnie hunter must have strict control over the pricing of her books because her books are not discounted on any sites i have seen them on.
I noticed this too - but I have a feeling this has more to do with the publisher than Bonnie. I almost wonder if she is paid based on what she sells or if she makes a percentage from each book sale because she was really pushing the books (in the most discreet and unpushy way) when she visited our guild.

Either way her books are great, she's very open and generous with her patterns and knowledge and I'm happy to give her the money to keep her out there doing what she does. I have never heard of this Scrap Therapy book but it sound interesting and I'll have to give that website a look!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:27 AM

Wow! Great advice by everyone...I just sold a bunch of bags of my scraps...was getting tired of using the same old ones. Hope to make a few new ones as I sew this summer! I must say I love Bonnie Hunter's site, and have made a few quilts from it. Also adopted her scrap saver syatem.

Last edited by emlee51; 07-06-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:53 AM

I have it and LOVE IT!!!!!!Its a great way to organize your scrap material and be able to store and use it as well! I would highly recommend this book!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 AM

I follow Bonnie Hunters blog and enjoy it very much. Also I've just began doing the same with Joan Ford. Her website is
hummingbird-highway.com. There was something goofy with scraptherapy which she originally had so she changed it.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda Lee View Post
I follow Bonnie Hunters blog and enjoy it very much. Also I've just began doing the same with Joan Ford. Her website is
hummingbird-highway.com. There was something goofy with scraptherapy which she originally had so she changed it.
Thank you for the web site info. I checked it out and it really is a great site! Thank you!!!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:31 AM

You are wlcome. Glad to help.