Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newbie quilting questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newbie-quilting-questions-t185795.html)

KTDID49 04-12-2012 09:23 AM

Newbie quilting questions

Having never made a quilt yet, I need stitching length info. My machine is set automatically at 2.5 and is adjustable of course. What st length does one use for sewing your pieces together? What st length do you use for your top quilting?
All so does anyone know where to find, with instructions, how to apply your home photographs to fabric so you can use in a quilt? Thanks to you all for your help and hints. KTDID49

Peckish 04-12-2012 09:34 AM

I usually use 2.5 for piecing unless I'm paper piecing, then I shorten the length to 1.

For photographs on fabric, I googled "printing on fabric" and got a huge list of websites, videos, and blogs that show how to do it. It all depends on what kind of printer you have and what kind of products you want to use. There's a product called Bubble Jet Set that a lot of my quilting friends swear by. You soak the fabric in it, let it dry, run it through the printer, then (I think) heat-set it. I've not used it myself, hopefully someone who has will come by and explain in greater detail.

skowron5 04-12-2012 09:37 AM

I use the 2.5 also. If I am stitching in the ditch or sewing lines to put the layers together I usually go to a longer stitch length maybe 3.5.

QuiltE 04-12-2012 09:37 AM

Most of the time these are the stitch lengths which I use.

Piecing @ 1.8
PPing @ 1.0
Quilting @ 3.0 or 3.2

I may adjust up or down, once I do a test with the variables specific to the project (eg. fabrics, thread, batting, pattern techniques, etc.).

Jan in VA 04-12-2012 12:12 PM

Not all of us have computerized machines with digital stitch length settings.

Use a stitch length sufficient enough to hold the seam together well, yet allow your seam ripper point to fit under a stitch if needed to remove it.

Jan in VA

QuiltE 04-12-2012 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5135863)

Use a stitch length sufficient enough to hold the seam together well, yet allow your seam ripper point to fit under a stitch if needed to remove it.

Jan in VA

I believe we all gave her the #s as such, being that she stated her auto-default was 2.5.
I would think she understands it, because of that.

gollytwo 04-12-2012 12:51 PM

more important for me is to set my seam allowance at 3.5 (a scant 1/4") my block is never large enough if I leave the needle in the standard position

faykilgore 04-12-2012 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5135863)

Jan in VA

I sooo agree with that ;)

susie-susie-susie 04-12-2012 01:55 PM

I prefer a shorter stitch so it holds the seam better. I also stopped backstitching and the seams hold together just fine. It was hard to stop backstitching at first since I have been doing that for years and years to set the seam. I use the shorter stitch for paper piecing also--makes it easier to remove the paper. Just don't use such a short stitch that it is hard to unsew. Welcome to the quilting community!! Make sure to show us your first project.
Sue

Dolphyngyrl 04-12-2012 03:31 PM

1.8-2 for piecing
1.4 for paper piecing