Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Newspaper used as batting in a vintage quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/newspaper-used-batting-vintage-quilt-t91826.html)

Bonbonary 01-20-2011 06:10 AM

I remember my grandma used old, worn out blankets for batting. Back then, it was necessity. Now we call it recycling.

Moon Holiday 01-20-2011 06:12 AM

I did know some used newspaper as foundation (such as in paper-piecing) but they didn't bother to remove it. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was used as batting since even further back they used leaves as filler to make their beds softer. As was said before... necessity is the mother of invention and many folks used whatever they had at hand.

Crafty Chick 01-20-2011 06:32 AM

If anyone is reading the Elm Creek Quilt books, one of the books goes into great detail about a quilt found in a church closet and no one knew where it came from. They opened it up and found newspaper inside and determined the possible date by the papers found inside. That was the first time I had ever heard of newspaper being used as batting.

Holice 01-20-2011 06:50 AM

you might check this on the Quilt history List

illinois 01-20-2011 07:23 AM

Haven't you ever fallen asleep with a newspaper over you? It's surprising how much warmth it can provide really. When I was a kid, the quilt on my bed was not the top layer. It was covered with a bedspread so it didn't get very soiled with use. The quilt was more of a blanket. Quilts were more utility than for beauty, I guess.

I remember my mother hauling the quilt box outside at least once a year to air the contents on the line and leave the lid up to air it in the sun. As a child I was playing with the box and climbed inside. The lid came down and the hasp closure came shut. Here was one scared kid until luckily a neighbor came to visit and rescued me!

Too, I remember my grandmother telling of using straw for padding under the rag carpets. Can you imagine the dust? And we wonder how we have accumulated so many allergies over the years.

ShirlinAZ 01-20-2011 07:41 AM

Have you heard newspapers being called rags? The paper used was made from rags that the poor collected from the trash of the rich and sold to paper factories. No lie. I'm sure some people continued using newspapers after they were mostly wood fiber without realizing a change had happened.

ckcowl 01-20-2011 07:50 AM

it was probably actually just made with newspaper templates/foundations. i have an old quilt my great grandma made back in the 20's...it still has the newpaper in it...when i asked my grandma about it she said they stuffed newspaper into the cracks in the walls too, for insulation, it was believed if you leave the paper it adds an extra layer of insulation. her's did have batting too, not just fabric, paper, fabric. but fabric, newpaper, batting (an old wool blanket) and backing

Originally Posted by Tropical
Has anyone heard of using newspaper as batting in a quilt? I was talking to a young woman Walmart associate today who wanted to know if she could help me locate what I was looking for in the magazine department. I was looking for a quilting magazine to browse through while waiting for my DH. She started telling me about three quilts her deceased grandmother had quilted and she had inherited. She was looking for someone to restore them. She proceeded to explain that newspaper had been used for batting. I thought that was a rather odd choice because how would you ever be able to clean them. Just wondering if anyone had heard of that practice.

PATTIESPEARL 01-20-2011 08:05 AM

an elderly neighbor once told me that during the war times they did not have enough bedding to stay warm so they put sheets of newspaper between the bedding that they had to make it warmer

Parrothead 01-20-2011 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready

Originally Posted by Colorful Quilter
When I was a little girl I remember having a feather pillow to sleep with...every so often one of the feathers would poke me in the face....

I slept on what was called a feather tick. It was like a huge pillow that was used for a mattress. Just about the time it would get all smashed down and I could sleep, Mom would fluff it up. I would always ask her not to, telling her that it tried to eat me and suck out my air. She said I was being silly. It wasn't until years later that we found out I was allergic to feathers. I always slept with my head off the side of the bed when I was little.

OMG that is me. Yep, feather pillows and feather ticks. I am violently allergic to down, feathers, any type. A real problem staying in the nicer hotels as many have total feather bedding and they have to come and take them out of the room.

SittingPretty 01-20-2011 08:49 AM

We had rented and apartment once where half the front bedroom floor hung over the downstairs porch. My Mom told me to lay newspapers down on the floor. When I looked at her funny, she said that that is why the hobos in the park use newspapers for a blanket, because they are so warm. Well, I laid the newspapers on that portion of the bedroom floor, and I was amazed at how much it helped during a Wisconsin winter!