Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   nine patch and rail in two colors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/nine-patch-rail-two-colors-t174878.html)

vjc 01-10-2012 06:40 AM

Nine patch - rail fence quilt made in two colors

I have made a rail fence quilt. Is there a free pattern for this nine patch - rail fence quilt out there? Pass on the link if so.
Vicky

sharon1 01-10-2012 07:05 AM

Jan, What is the heart quilt pattern? I think that looks fun for Feb.!

QandE2010 01-10-2012 07:36 AM

Dina, if you starch your fabric, especially the triangles, prior to cutting & sewing, you'll find the fabric holds it shape & doesn't stretch as easily. Good luck & be sure to post pics when finished. I don't believe that you can starch too heavily.

craftymatt2 01-10-2012 08:58 AM

oh that is a beauty, i think red and white would be gorgeous but that is because favorite color is red

gardnergal970 01-10-2012 09:50 AM

This pattern would adapt well to what I call strip quilting. Two of the rows in the 9 patch have the same order as the rail piece. This could go real quick.

gardnergal970 01-10-2012 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 (Post 4861475)
This pattern would adapt well to what I call strip quilting. Two of the rows in the 9 patch have the same order as the rail piece. This could go real quick.

I've tried to edit my post but can't figure it out. Only one row is the same as the rail but still a good candidate for strip quilting.

cinnya 01-10-2012 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by charlie 1940 (Post 4860524)
You could also do a black and white, with the center sqauare of the nine-patch in Red or Turquoise or Peach. That might add a touch of pizzaz to accent your room.

Charlie

Love this Idea...How big are the blocks?? I think I would like to do this in 9" blocks, or would it look better in a 12" ??..........I am not even going to the inset triangles lol, I worry about that when I get there :):)

BrendaY 01-10-2012 10:35 AM

Jan, your idea of doing this quilt in "scrappy" is lovely! I'm a scrappy lover, and now I want to do this one! Thanks for the idea!

wildyard 01-10-2012 01:48 PM

Remember what was said, 2 colors does not have to mean only 2 fabrics. Using lots of prints in the same colorway adds so much interest and pizazz to the quilt. So go ahead and do it in navy and yellow.. or whatever you choose. But here is a great way to save some money by buying remnants and using your scraps to add some sparkle to your quilt. Or do an ISO (in search of) here on the board and ask for scraps in navy blue or red or your color of choice.
Many of our quilters don't use their scraps and are happy to sell them for a low cost or pay them forward for the price of postage. This looks like a really fun project!
Hugssssss and smilessss

carolynjo 01-10-2012 02:01 PM

Wow! Dina, you have your work cut out for you, but the results will be beautiful!