Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Quilting Purchases!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-quilting-purchases-t140193.html)

Baloonatic 07-26-2011 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by vivoaks
Here's what at least slowed me down: I got all my fabric out of the containers they were in, and started piling them up on shelves. When I finished filling one set of shelves, I emptied a bookshelf, and kept going. I still have several plastic containers full of fabric, but when I go into my sewing area, and see all that fabric on the shelf & bookshelf, it really does help me see the big picture. I DON'T need anymore fabric!!! But I really don't buy nearly as much as I used to, now that I can actually SEE how much I already have.

Exactly what I did as well. Once I organized it and can see what I have, I've found little need to buy more!

quiltingnonie 07-26-2011 06:05 AM

The online shopping is what kills my budget! That 'click to pay' button is soooooooo easy :lol:

reginalovesfabric 07-26-2011 06:10 AM

I don't intend to quit buying fabric, that is my only vice beside buyin groceries. I have a ton of fabric and will probally have a 1/2 ton when I die, some people buy flowers for gardens, some spend money on playing golf, I buy fabric.

newbee 07-26-2011 06:10 AM

My way to not spend money is to .........not go shopping! If I don't want to spend anything I don't go to stores or get on websites. This said, I just ordered a specific fabric online. However, I was looking for a specific piece of fabric, found it online, and ONLY ordered that fabric. It's hard, but doable.

newbee 07-26-2011 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by vivoaks
Here's what at least slowed me down: I got all my fabric out of the containers they were in, and started piling them up on shelves. When I finished filling one set of shelves, I emptied a bookshelf, and kept going. I still have several plastic containers full of fabric, but when I go into my sewing area, and see all that fabric on the shelf & bookshelf, it really does help me see the big picture. I DON'T need anymore fabric!!! (Now, having said that, I just got confirmation that my latest order just shipped from Over the Rainbow Quilt Shop!! - over $70!) But I really don't buy nearly as much as I used to, now that I can actually SEE how much I already have.

Storing my fabric so that it is visible is exactly what I did a couple of months ago--I have my fabric visible in my sewing room and everytime I go in there I get new resolve not to add to my stash! If the fabric is visible it sure helps.

SUZAG 07-26-2011 06:17 AM

This probably sounds morbid but here goes...I just think about what will happen to the leftovers after I am gone, they will probably be thrown in the dumpster. My daughter is not interested in sewing at all. Who am I going to leave this stuff to? It's just too nice to pitch so I need to leave it at the store for someone else to discover. I have enough to serve my purposes.

G'ma Kay 07-26-2011 06:28 AM

every time you get the urge to shop, sew instead. Stay away from the shops!

newbee 07-26-2011 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by SUZAG
This probably sounds morbid but here goes...I just think about what will happen to the leftovers after I am gone, they will probably be thrown in the dumpster. My daughter is not interested in sewing at all. Who am I going to leave this stuff to? It's just too nice to pitch so I need to leave it at the store for someone else to discover. I have enough to serve my purposes.

I don't think that is morbid at all--you are just saving someone a lot of backbreaking work when you pass on. I have the same problem and am downsizing to get rid of things so others don't have to when I am gone!

Margie 07-26-2011 06:33 AM

Nancy you are a wise woman! I have beautiful fabrics in my stash and NEED to use THEM UP.

Originally Posted by happymrs
I don't purchase much anymore. I have so much stash, beautiful stash, so try to work from it, as much as possible. I go to quilt club once a month & usually buy a few fqs, but not a lot else. DH is retired now, so we live on less, but you know, mainly, I want to put my stash to good use, & enjoy it while I can, & I hate to think of leaving it all to someone else someday!
Something that helps me too, is I go spend time in my studio, going through what I already have. That's a real wake up call! So you all might try doing that sometimes. You just might be amazed at what you already have in your stash, & start thinking about not buying a lot more, all the time. This has helped me ALOT...

vasallese 07-26-2011 06:42 AM

Are you disciplined enough to just put away the money you THINK you might spend at the store? Then, after a couple of months, take it out and go get something special! In the meantime, do you hve enough stash to work on? If you find fabric you forgot you had, then guess what, that counts as a new purchase!