Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Quilting Purchases!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-quilting-purchases-t140193.html)

Anna.425 07-26-2011 06:43 PM

Well, as dear old Mom would say, it's called discipline. I know, she just doesn't get it.

I would suggest making a strict cash only rule. Put your quilting cash for the month in an envelope. Use only the money in your quilting envelope for quilt shopping (be sure to put your change back in the envelope :) and when it is gone for the month, it is gone and you wait until the next infusion of quilting cash.

madamekelly 07-26-2011 06:44 PM

I am just using what I have also. Today I went through every piece of fabric in my stash to find something to make curtains for the family room (4 double hung windows). When I started, I thought I would end up making something pieced, but when I got to the bottom of a trunk my DD had stored for me during my travels, I found a piece of "yard goods' that I bought in 1990 (the receipt was with it), from Daisy Kingdom. It is a border print chintz, that just happens to match my carpeting, and has stripes that are vertical. Who knew, when I bought it, that someday I would own a home with carpeting to match it. A 21 year old piece of stash. That's my idea of thrifty. :thumbup:

MimiLinda 07-26-2011 06:47 PM

No help either. Sounds like you are in a pickle! :lol:

chelgvns 07-26-2011 07:19 PM

I have been grounded from any kind of sewing purchas etill I finish all the projects - have currently in my sewing room! Its not fair I havenrt grounded him from fishing lures or tools bute them till their gone. And I do have a few projects I need to work on but some I can't finish till I go to the fabric store which I'm grounded from!!!!

Phannie1 07-26-2011 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by chelgvns
I have been grounded from any kind of sewing purchas etill I finish all the projects - have currently in my sewing room! Its not fair I havenrt grounded him from fishing lures or tools bute them till their gone. And I do have a few projects I need to work on but some I can't finish till I go to the fabric store which I'm grounded from!!!!

My husband likes to golf and I like to shop for quilt fabric and Penguins for my granddaughter. He don't tell me not to shop, I don't tell him not to golf. Besides, more he golfs the more I shop!

Flying_V_Goddess 07-26-2011 07:47 PM

I go in with a limit. Say like $30. Pick out stuff I really really like and/or know 100% that I'm going to use it. Sometimes I'll go in with a mission: "I'm just going to get fabrics for this quilt and maybe something I like if I can spare it". I figure out the total cost before going to get my fabric cut. If I go over budget I put some things back, fabrics I don't like as much as the others.

Feathers 07-26-2011 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by babyboomerquilter
I just can't quit looking either. Just when I say to myself,you have got enough, some other great sale will come by me then there I go again. I can hardly pass up a good deal!LOL!

Me, Too!

charlotte37830 07-26-2011 09:07 PM

I just make myself stay away because I know I will find something I just "have" to have. Since I've not been sewing a long time, there are all kinds of goodies I "need".

Katy 07-26-2011 11:44 PM

It is amazing that this was posted yesterday and already 16 pages. That should tell you are not alone. Reading just one page confirms lots of us struggle with this. I started setting some goals on July 1. I did not stop buying everything but established sole boundaries. That might help. I am not buying "just to have". I can only buy to finish projects except a couple of special occasion exceptions (long beach international quilt festival on Friday and a trip to Vegas.) I am not buying new magazines. Each time I find an area I can set a new goal. I am not saying never but less and so far it is helping Good luck. It is an addiction.

katigirl 07-26-2011 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by jean1941
May have do like me on fixed income just stay home and work on what I have and stay out of stores It is hard but we can do it if we stick together and keep telling ourselves that we can do it LOL

ditto.