Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Quilting Purchases!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-quilting-purchases-t140193.html)

Janice Thompson 07-26-2011 05:03 PM

wHEN YOU HAVE TO TAKE HUSBAND ALONG SHOPPING IT KINDA PUTS A DAMPER ON SPENDING. THE ONLY FABRIC STORE IS 20 MILES AWAY. HARD TO JUSTIFY GOING JUST FOR FABRIC

deedum 07-26-2011 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Janice Thompson
wHEN YOU HAVE TO TAKE HUSBAND ALONG SHOPPING IT KINDA PUTS A DAMPER ON SPENDING. THE ONLY FABRIC STORE IS 20 MILES AWAY. HARD TO JUSTIFY GOING JUST FOR FABRIC

ain't that the truth! Takes all the fun out of it!

lazygram 07-26-2011 05:06 PM

I have made up my mind to utilize as much of my stash as possible this summer and fall. I have made a number of 17"x20" doll quilts for our guild to give away at the holiday time. Also working on some quilts for children who are in difficult situations in rough urban areas. Plus some polar fleece hats for children who suffer from cancer and may have lost some or all of their hair. Utilizing odds and ends of batting and chenille pieces for the quilts and feel very self righteous. Actually I love all my fabric and have difficulty cutting into it but I am determined to get it down to a reasonable amount. Plus utilizing some odd blocks to make some wall hangings or runners to auction at our upcoming guild show.

Rose Cactus 07-26-2011 05:06 PM

You only live once. By fabric eat soup.

deedum 07-26-2011 05:07 PM

I haven't bought anything now for 3 days! Gee....I am feeling weak all of a sudden thinking about it!

deedum 07-26-2011 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Cactus
You only live once. By fabric eat soup.

I like the way you think :)

normasews 07-26-2011 05:13 PM

Stay away...at least that's what I've been trying to do the last couple of months. If I'm not there (JoAnn's, Quilt Shop) I don't see it and I don't buy it.

It's very difficult, but it can be done.

....or

I watch an episode of Hoarders...that helps too :-D

Tadpole 07-26-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter

Originally Posted by jean1941
May have do like me on fixed income just stay home and work on what I have and stay out of stores It is hard but we can do it if we stick together and keep telling ourselves that we can do it LOL

Very true... its my lunch hours at work that get me, I think I will just run to the store and "look". UGH! :)

We can do it Jean1941!!

That is just what I do! The salespeople just ask me "Just getting off or on lunch?".

quilting in my60s 07-26-2011 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by janell2009
Tell yourself this... If you do not have the budget for it then it was not meant to be. You can keep looking, but just don't go over budget. You might just get more creative that way.. Like look at goodwill or do rummage sales, or somewhere besides JoAnn's. For the life of me I just can not get out of there for under $100. So I have to go and look, but since I know that, I do not buy anything. Then I have to find other ways to get my fabrics. Really is feels better to know I have been true to myself by not over spending us into the poor house.
Oh and PS God works in mysterious ways, let him work....

I agreed a budget helps. When I have friends that visit us from out of town and want to go to quilt shops I budget $20 and when it is gone, it is gone!! God also helps when I pray that I don't find anything I want to spend my $20 on!

Phannie1 07-26-2011 06:43 PM

Okay, Just went to look at Michael's crafts. I walked throught the quilt and cross stitch section. I knew not to look at books. I did not need any new rulers and square. I did buy some quilt pins for a project in November. I spent $4.99.