Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No More Shopping for Me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-more-shopping-me-t265161.html)

pattypurple 05-13-2015 11:52 AM

No More Shopping for Me

While packing up my sewing room for our move, I counted all my fabrics as I packed them. I keep my fabrics sorted by size so it wasn't difficult. What was difficult to wrap my brain around is that I have 481 yards of fabric (not counting kits and what I've given away). How on Earth will I ever buy fabric again knowing how much I already have? I could sew for years and not use it up. Guess I'm going to have to get creative in putting colors and designs together. Haven't told DH yet how much is there.
I'm sure I'll still drool over fabrics when I see them, but will be much more choosy about what I buy

tessagin 05-13-2015 11:59 AM

But when those coupons come out and the deals are published and the fabrics are so sweet and scrumptious and seductive, temptation just gets the best of us. My excuse to DH is but these are great to add to the charity stash and your mother will love it! Sometimes we just have to sashay up to the spouse with the best explanation we have when we get caught bringing it into the home. smile pretty and give them "a piece" of the piece of chocolate to share.

OneDoxieMom 05-13-2015 12:05 PM

I don't have near that much fabric but I got to thinking - I would need to live to 100+ to use what I ​do have.

bearisgray 05-13-2015 12:22 PM

That's not quite five small Home Depot moving boxes full (12 x 16 x 12)

ManiacQuilter2 05-13-2015 01:00 PM

Pat just don't tell him. He probably has as many toys as you have fabric. I am trying to use up what I have but occasionally will need to buy a little bit to finish off a UFO!!

Good Luck with your move.

plainpat 05-13-2015 01:34 PM

Same here.....It's been 3 yrs since I bought fabric. Mainly I have "what was I thinking?"& ooooh,I love it.
My problem now is getting something half done,then starting something else. Finally learned to put the pattern,book etc in with whatever needs to be finished.

Rhonda Lee 05-13-2015 01:46 PM

We are moving too, it's quite a wake up call isn't it? Check out our moratorium thread here on the board. It helps with keeping to the idea of using our stash first and just buying what is necessary. Good luck on your move!

Cam's gram 05-13-2015 02:54 PM

Shouldn't have counted! When we moved, I didn't.

Onebyone 05-13-2015 03:16 PM

We are moving in a year so I started sorting my sewing room now. I didn't realize how many orange tone fabrics I have. I must like fall colors more then I thought. I'm giving away a lot of my stash to my quilting friends. I know they will use it for donation quilts, better then moving it and storing it again.

quiltstringz 05-13-2015 06:36 PM

I know when you see how much you have it just boggles the mind. I have to keep telling myself no no no unless I have a real use for it. Always have to have an out!