Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: No More Shopping for Me

No More Shopping for Me

While packing up my sewing room for our move, I counted all my fabrics as I packed them. I keep my fabrics sorted by size so it wasn't difficult. What was difficult to wrap my brain around is that I have 481 yards of fabric (not counting kits and what I've given away). How on Earth will I ever buy fabric again knowing how much I already have? I could sew for years and not use it up. Guess I'm going to have to get creative in putting colors and designs together. Haven't told DH yet how much is there.
    I'm sure I'll still drool over fabrics when I see them, but will be much more choosy about what I buy
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    But when those coupons come out and the deals are published and the fabrics are so sweet and scrumptious and seductive, temptation just gets the best of us. My excuse to DH is but these are great to add to the charity stash and your mother will love it! Sometimes we just have to sashay up to the spouse with the best explanation we have when we get caught bringing it into the home. smile pretty and give them "a piece" of the piece of chocolate to share.

I don't have near that much fabric but I got to thinking - I would need to live to 100+ to use what I ​do have.
    Some days are diamonds, some days are coal - BUT God is with me everyday!

Power Poster
    That's not quite five small Home Depot moving boxes full (12 x 16 x 12)

Pat just don't tell him. He probably has as many toys as you have fabric. I am trying to use up what I have but occasionally will need to buy a little bit to finish off a UFO!!

Good Luck with your move.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Same here.....It's been 3 yrs since I bought fabric. Mainly I have "what was I thinking?"& ooooh,I love it.
    My problem now is getting something half done,then starting something else. Finally learned to put the pattern,book etc in with whatever needs to be finished.
    Pat

We are moving too, it's quite a wake up call isn't it? Check out our moratorium thread here on the board. It helps with keeping to the idea of using our stash first and just buying what is necessary. Good luck on your move!
    SEW MUCH FUN!

Shouldn't have counted! When we moved, I didn't.

We are moving in a year so I started sorting my sewing room now. I didn't realize how many orange tone fabrics I have. I must like fall colors more then I thought. I'm giving away a lot of my stash to my quilting friends. I know they will use it for donation quilts, better then moving it and storing it again.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I know when you see how much you have it just boggles the mind. I have to keep telling myself no no no unless I have a real use for it. Always have to have an out!

I just moved my sewing room into the basement. I broke down crying several times, overwhelmed by the amount of fabric and quilt kits. Part of it was feeling ashamed of hoarding so much stuff. If I made a quilt every week for the rest of my life, I couldn't use it all up. My husband asked why are you crying, then said I should feel fortunate to have so many beautiful things.
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by pattypurple View Post
    ..................481 yards of fabric ....................
    If you make large quilts, you can easily use 9-12 yrds per quilt......so your yardage is only enough for about 48 quilts ...
    SO....if you make 10 quilt a year, the fabric will last you only 5 years.....See? it is not so bad...

My friend wanted to make her grandson a patchwork Christmas stocking. I told her before she started buying too many fabrics to check out my stash first. (I have about 200 different Christmas fabrics.) At first she thought I was just being nice, and said she did not want to use up my fabrics, but when she saw them she realized it would never be missed. She felt obligated to buy a fabric to replace what she used - and since it was something I didn't have that was very nice. I have more than I will ever use - but just can't resist the Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas fabrics. It's my weakness. So I do try to just stay away from them, but sometimes they are right there in front and call my name.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 05-13-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RN-Quilter View Post
    If you make large quilts, you can easily use 9-12 yrds per quilt......so your yardage is only enough for about 48 quilts ...
    SO....if you make 10 quilt a year, the fabric will last you only 5 years.....See? it is not so bad...
    A queen needs 8-9 yards just for the back. The front at least that much. That isroughly 16-20 tomake 1 queensized quilt. What is the problem? Maybe just spend more time quilting. Yikes,this yeat I havefinished over 100 quilts. that is a Lot of backing fabric just in those! Yes I have used up a lot of fabric this year! just sewmore, less time watchingtvor on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    A queen needs 8-9 yards just for the back. The front at least that much. That is roughly 16-20 to make 1 queen-sized quilt.
    Exactly! I did not even count the backing fabrics! That would halve your amount of quilts to be made ....!

You HAVE to go shopping, Girl!!

If you go scrappy, it may last you a long time......some people say scraps multiply at night....!

Blog Entries
    Other than wide backing fabrics and an occasional immediate need ( like a commission order I don't have the color for or background for) I haven't purchased fabric in 3 years. Still feel like I could go for years working out of my stash... But, hubby bought me a $100 gift certificate for the local quilt shop for mother's day! I've been looking at it for days, haven't ventured in that direction yet. Waiting for the perfect time...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    I'm with you! I filled eight 40 quart bins with fabric and that's not all of it. Seriously, a fabric catalog just came and has drool all over it, but unless I live to be 150, this will never all get sewn. Unfortunately, my retirement isn't really retirement and I'm having a difficult time having the energy and patience to get around to the sewing.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I have my fabrics on white coated metal shelves. I can see that I have lots and lots of yards of fabrics. Every time I hope the closet I see three shelves, about 12' wide with several stacks of fabrics. I only buy remnants of fabrics to go with what I have.
    I never measured them, don't know for sure but, guess I have many, many yards. I think I will have to live to be about 200-300 years old to use it all.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I'm with you there. Bought way too much and now have enough for 100 quilts. The only thing I buy now are fabrics for the border or background. I am happy with what I have as I have absolutely beautiful fabric.

So many of us are in this boat! We recently moved. While I did not officially count the yardage it was quite a lot. Since I have always stored my fabric that is less than 2 yards in 12 quart plastic totes by color it was easy to move and set up my sewing room. I store two yard pieces in a bookshelf ruler folded. Larger pieces are on the bolt boards that I ask for at the quilt store. No, I won't use it in my lifetime but my family knows just what to do with it whenever I cannot sew anymore. Keep enjoying it without guilt but do add a piece from time to time-it is good for a quilter's well being.

Thank you all for making me feel better about my large stash......I am trying not to buy any more also!

Blog Entries
    This thread sure makes me feel better about my stash!! I have a DDIL that uses from my stash & a new quilter is my DGD so I know my vintage fabric will go to good people! We're not hoarders just passionate about fabric!

Blog Entries
    I am using more and buying less, but my stash is increasing because I am purchasing fabrics I would not have originally purchased so I now have more variety of fabrics to choose from. If they would not design such beautiful fabrics, I would not be so tempted.

So, NO, I have not intention of stopping anytime soon.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

I don't have very much fabric but what I do have I sometimes find very hard to cut into. Reading this thread has made me think that I really should not worry about using up my fabric as I buy it and then buying more when I need it, rather than trying to "collect" it.
    One thing I find really hard is that fabric collections come out for such a short period of time I feel the pressure to buy it while I can before it sells out, even if I don't need it.

I also have a large amount of fabric. I now only buy what I need to coordinate and finish a quilt. I keep tell my kids I have my fabric supply for when I retire and I don't have to buy any more. They haven't bought that one yet. My one son tells me he's going to bring a dump truck up to the window!!!!
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?
    Kathy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast