Are you shopping more?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:12 AM

Yesterday I was in a mall and the crowds were like the ones just before Christmas. I don't think I've seen anything like it in years.

The newspapers have been saying that people are shopping more (after cutting back for a few years because of the economy). The papers always say, "consumer confidence is up" when shopping increases, but I never felt that was a full explanation.

So I'm asking you: Did you cut back because of the economy? If so, have you started buying more now? And why? Is your consumer confidence up, or is it just that you're finally at a point where you have to replace some items or is it that you're finally working again, or what? Or did your shopping habits never change?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

My shopping habits have changed and for me it's a good thing.
I am not a huge shopper but when it comes to "collections" I used to go overboard. All it did for me was clutter my house and make me nervous!
I suspect all the mall shoppers may have income tax checks in tow but not sure, just a thought.
I am finding the older I get that less is more! :)
(with the exception of quilting lol)
Old 03-27-2011, 07:49 AM

Shopping less as being retired I don't need to go to all the sales anymore. I shop in my closet & find many surprises. I read the grocery store ads each week & the one that has the most items that I use wins.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:21 AM
BMP

I think its the tax refunds too...I noticed at Kohls yesterday it was quite busy but they had a really good sale going on.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:25 AM

I mostly only shop when I need something.most things I can order online for my hobby.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 AM

shopping less here....I really don't know where they get their info that the economy is on the rebound! Gas is outrageous and going to the grocery store is enough to make me cry. The same amount of money that fed us nicely with little extras last year barely covers basics now. I try to only make one trip a week to town and get everything we need then. That's also the day we go to the library and post office if needed.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 AM

Yes but only on here for material!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:37 AM

I am shopping much less than I used to...only buying what I really need, and if I do shop, it has to be on sale. I have a large quilting stash, and am trying to use that most of the time. Other shopping again is only for needs, not wants.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:45 AM

LOL Not me. My grocery bill seems to have doubled even though my family size is the same. We are spending way more on gas now. I am with whoever said that most people have those income tax checks burning a hole in their pockets.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

Not me either. All of my tax refund went into the bank to pay house taxes next year. I only buy what I need now, and a few fabric treats now and then. Even buying less stuff at the grocery store...making moe cleaning products, baking, less expensive meat too!