Are you shopping more?

Old 03-27-2011, 08:54 AM

Everything is discounted so deeply now, I think people are shopping again. There have been employment ads in our papers again for a change and that's a good sign also. It's been so bad here in Central Florida.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:59 AM

Have changed my shopping habits; don't buy unless I need it and look for a really good bargain to make it worth buying.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Banned

if they are shopping now it is with Tax refunds.lucky them..I always have to pay...also because forcasts are saying clothing, and all else is on the rise..so they are buying now just in case....I heard now is the time to stock up on cotton sheets and towels as they are going the way of our GOOD fabric..they will lesser quality for more money and fewer options....makes sense...
Old 03-27-2011, 09:54 AM

My shopping hasn't changed in years, I go to the fabric store, grocery store, thrift stores/yard sales and the car parts store. I haven't been in a mall in probably 30 years.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 AM

DH and I banked the refund check we got. We're not shopping more, even less than last year. Our food prices have gone up and there have been no changes in our family size. I've been participating in a swap for different goods that my work has (we're all teachers so money is always tight and our wonderful governor is trying to take even more) and DH and I trade things with our friends who have farms and grow their own foods. Bartering is back!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

I think bartering should never have gone out of style! It's a wonderful thing!! :D
Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 PM

I went shopping at the mall yesterday and it was nuts!!! I think the sales are better than they have been in years past. I had 3 coupons for JC Penneys that were $10.00 off a $25.00 purchase. Add that to the sales and who can resist?
Old 03-27-2011, 01:29 PM

Hi Lisanne,

Did you notice who the shoppers were? What age bracket? This is just before many young kids to on their annual spring break get away. Also it's prom season. The other important item to ask, where they carrying lots of bags? ...or were they just window shopping?

Also once the weather breaks the mall is the new hang out place for many school agers. Many malls have theaters that are busy on the weekends as well.

As for me, not much money, so I'm not buying, certainly not at the malls. I'm looking at the thrift stores first for anything that I have to have. The only thing I buy new is my shoes.

I've not enrolled in my normal BOM programs this year due to lack of extra funds. There are one or two that start later this year that I'm hoping to be able to participate in. If not then maybe I can do the Patchwork Party depending on money, the blocks and the fabrics and whether I like them.

Of course, I have to buy gas for the car and foot to eat, these are both going up due to the prices. So I'm limiting where I go and how often I drive. I schedule my time out to make any additional stops I can that are in the same area with my "have to" errands. I've even limited my once usual weekly meetings by not going to some to save on gas comsumption. The weather has been bad and cold so it was easy to make that as my excuse to others. I've been watching every purchase even at the grocery, trying to buy sale items whenever I can.

I always check my local gas prices online before going to fill the car. I'm fortunate to live in an area of town that generally has the cheapest prices most of the time anyway. I've also found our local UDF and Sam's have a price matching practice. I've been able to save enough on gas at Sam's to have paid for the card in about three months.

Pam M
Old 03-28-2011, 03:50 AM

Since I retired last year I find that I do not shop nearly as much as when I needed clothes for work. I shop in my closet and when my daughter went back to work full time she also shopped my closet of work clothes. I have also been de-cluttering my house and have made a firm commitment to not buy useless stuff just to have it. It is funny how your ideas of what you need change as you get older, I am back to using what you have and repairing things when they break.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:06 AM

In some cases I can say I am shopping more but most is to either replace things I had to leave behind or to get things I couldn't afford after giving my DD most of my check.
I have doctor bills I didn't have there so a good chunk of my check is going there.
I stopped mag subscriptions, I am not shopping for fabric like I did. Only getting what I need for a project. I do hit the thrift stores. But don't buy just because anymore. I look for certain things.
Since my check is a set figure I am still spending it just differently.