Are you shopping more?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 AM

No, I am not shopping more even though I can honestly say that our income has not changed. I have always been pretty careful about what I spend. The major spending we have done these past few months is on things for the upcoming wedding, a new garden tiller and, just this morning, a new set of tires for my car. I have been at the mall recently and I agree...I could have thought it was Christmas time, as well! I am wondering if it is not the combination of the fact that it was a relatively nice day and people had been cooped up due to the crappy winter we have had...and, also, tax refunds are arriving.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:16 AM

My children always seem to worry about what to buy me for holidays. I try to tell them that the happiest people aren't the ones who have the most, but the ones who need the least. They are still working on wrapping their minds around that.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:04 AM

Shopping less.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
My shopping habits have changed and for me it's a good thing.
I am not a huge shopper but when it comes to "collections" I used to go overboard. All it did for me was clutter my house and make me nervous!
I suspect all the mall shoppers may have income tax checks in tow but not sure, just a thought.
I am finding the older I get that less is more! :)
(with the exception of quilting lol)
I agree. I find myself getting the "urge to purge" about once a year. Except for my quilting stuff LOL
Old 03-28-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by ginnie6
shopping less here....I really don't know where they get their info that the economy is on the rebound! Gas is outrageous and going to the grocery store is enough to make me cry. The same amount of money that fed us nicely with little extras last year barely covers basics now. I try to only make one trip a week to town and get everything we need then. That's also the day we go to the library and post office if needed.
Our OWN family's economy is certainly not on the rebound. My local chain grocery store charges $5 + dollars for a jar of mayo. So I save all my needs to make a weekly trip to the local Wal-Mart 30 minutes away where the same jar of mayo goes for $3 +. Gougers!!! Plus self employed people very rarely get a tax refund so I am not one of those people at the mall.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:16 PM

I discovered two set of sheet in the closet, both different, that had not been opened. Loved the "old" price! I paid. They go with the two quilts I just completed. How lucky is that. I cannot find the sheets I used to buy on sale at Marshall's anymore so I feel lucky that I shopped in "the old days". Health issues keep me from circulating now so there you are. My advice is buy what you love and don't give it away as eventually it will fit into your life and make you so pleased..
Old 03-28-2011, 03:25 PM

At the rate grocery prices are going up, I've decided it's a good time to start that diet. As if I didn't need to do it anyway. LOL
Old 03-28-2011, 03:53 PM

Shopping less here. Made myself a budget the first of the year and so far haven't broke it. If I don't go in a store I won't buy anything. I have plenty of fabric and patterns to keep me busy. I did go to Joann's for the coupon sale but couldn't pass up the buys I got. Stayed on budget though!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:36 PM

I have the same to say as Susan Margret.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by quilter1943
Everything is discounted so deeply now, I think people are shopping again. There have been employment ads in our papers again for a change and that's a good sign also. It's been so bad here in Central Florida.
quilter1943, I love your avatar! Is that an original design or did you make it from a pattern?