Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No Power = No Sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-power-%3D-no-sewing-t193181.html)

Peckish 06-30-2012 07:40 AM

Woo hooo, an adventure! Break out the treadle, cook over the fire, play Scrabble by candle light!

MommaDorian 06-30-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5328237)
Woo hooo, an adventure! Break out the treadle, cook over the fire, play Scrabble by candle light!

My 11 yo and I played Uno while it was getting dark. We really had to concentrate on the colors. Right now we're running on generator power, just not enough to power my sewing machine.

cdmmiracles 06-30-2012 09:06 AM

Our power is out too! Since 5:30 yesterday evening! State of emergency declared, so not sure when We'll be back on - have searched for a 1.5 hr radius trying to find a generator to purchase but everyone is sold out! Just restocked our deep freeze a few weeks ago. So I'm feelin your pain momma Dorian!

Toni C 06-30-2012 09:14 AM

I have a few treadle machines. I mostly do all my piecing with my favorite. When the hurricane came through Houston we were without power for weeks. Yes we have a generator but I used that for AC window unit in bedroom for DH, freezers, and fridges and water well. May I suggest a Singer treadle as the bobbins are the same as now and doesn't need rare needles either.

justflyingin 06-30-2012 09:22 AM

When we went to Kenya in January, they were all using treadle machines. That way they could sew with or without power. I guess they have rather unstable power. (I'm talking about the small shops where they make clothes for sale.)

Onebyone 06-30-2012 09:31 AM

No AC? It's been over 104 here all week! My lawn is dried and brown. My neighbor waters his lawn and boy was his wife upset when she found out we will get our lawn re sodded much cheaper then what he will pay for water all summer. LOL.

Jan in VA 06-30-2012 10:51 AM

We got the storm of the century last night, quick, but violent wind, and now our power is out too. On the farm we have no water, either, because the pump uses electricity. It's been 17 hours now, and the temps are 101 degrees! I bailed and went to my Mother's. We've been told it'll be days before it's back on. Looks like hand sewing for me.

Jan in VA

MommaDorian 06-30-2012 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 5328493)
No AC? It's been over 104 here all week! My lawn is dried and brown. My neighbor waters his lawn and boy was his wife upset when she found out we will get our lawn re sodded much cheaper then what he will pay for water all summer. LOL.

Don't you just hate when you find a cheaper way of doing something after the fact? lol Our power is finally back on, 18 hours later and it's 94 degrees. I can finally get my sewing machine going and get cooler at the same time. Life is sew good!!!

#1piecemaker 06-30-2012 12:03 PM

Get a butane light for the next outage and sew by hand. It is very relaxing and rewarding.

donac 06-30-2012 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by OCquilter (Post 5327939)
I borrowed my husband's camping headlamp the last time our power was out. It is a great light for handwork and for reading. I requested my own the next Christmas.

I have one of those that dh gave me a couple of years ago. It is the best for getting light right where it belongs.

I can't sew since my foot pedal became possessed last week (It decided to work when I was ironing across the room) and the shop is waiting for the replacement. I have been cleaning the room and doing other hand work. I would love to hand quilt but it is 96 here.

We have power here but we need to boil all water since a major water main broke yesterday. They have no idea how long we will have to boil water.

I hope everyone gets power soon