Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No Power = No Sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-power-%3D-no-sewing-t193181.html)

AuntieD 06-30-2012 01:33 PM

Hope you have your electricty back by now.

LadyElisabeth 06-30-2012 01:45 PM

A great time to cut out pieces.

Lois-nounoe 06-30-2012 01:52 PM

I was in a LQS the other day looking for a bobbin case for a 70+ yr sewing machine. Needless to say they were discontinued 30 yrs ago, needles were too, but I saw a NEW Janone machine in a NEW treadle table!! Could have knocked me over with a feather!! LOL

QuiltingHaven 06-30-2012 03:24 PM

Wellll, I talked my dear hubby into converting a Coffin Singer 99 into a hand crank for me "just in case" and we had the same issue last night here in Ohio. Soooo, I got out the hand crank, a nice LED flashlight and not even 82 mph winds could keep me from quilting. I got the machine on ebay for a little over $100.00 including shipping and bought the hand crank parts from Jenny at Sew-Classic. It didn't take him an hour to convert that little baby over to "no electricity needed" and her name is Penny because she came from Pennsylvania.

CanoePam 06-30-2012 03:43 PM

I hav a handcrank Singer 99 that I just love. Quite relaxing to use. I thought it would be hard to keep the fabric lined up with one hand, but it is very easy. I take it with me on long camping trips.

Pam

Xtgirl 06-30-2012 05:37 PM

I retreated to my FIL's house with my tw year old, my gfg project, 3 quilt magazines and the Union Quilters book. Guess its some forced relaxation as I was supposed to be finishing two customer quilts this weekend. Although with the two year old there hasn't been a lot of relaxation going on. A column blew off our house last night and my dh stayed behind to take care of our dogs. We've been without power for 24hrs and no end in site...not a big deal normally but it was 100 today and I have refrigerated meds for my RA....is a treadle hard on your hands or is it operated by another part of the body?

lonestardreams 06-30-2012 05:47 PM

I hope everyone without power gets it back soon. How awful. At our house when we don't have power we don't have water because we get our water from a well.

Praying for all of you.

maryb44662 06-30-2012 07:12 PM

No Power

My power was out for 20 hours. Hot as hadies to say the least. My little dog and I spent some time in the car with AC on just to cool off a bit. Was never so glad to see the power come back on tonight around 9 pm. The AC is still running because the house got so hot with the high temps outside today. I hope everyone gets their power back soon.

maryb44662 06-30-2012 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by OCquilter (Post 5327939)
I borrowed my husband's camping headlamp the last time our power was out. It is a great light for handwork and for reading. I requested my own the next Christmas.

I want to get one of those so I can read at least when the power is off. Good idea!!!

captlynhall 06-30-2012 08:57 PM

Oh, I feel bad for all of you without power. We lived thru Hurricane Ike a few years ago. The power was down for over a week, but we did have a small generator for the refrigerator, fans and light. I know you have all been suffering with the unusual heat. Sewing on in the face of adversity says a lot about the fortitude of quilters. Hang in there.