Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No Thread?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-thread-t288904.html)

Wanabee Quiltin 06-13-2017 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sandra in Minnesota (Post 7842462)
I'm right up there with the others - about 1/2 mile!

One time I was chain piecing and was so excited to be nearly done with a huge pile of squares until I noticed over half weren't sewed. I have no indication of when the bobbin runs out and my hearing can't allow me to notice slight sounds.

Boston1954 06-13-2017 06:14 AM

This is a neat thread about thread. My old Singer had a metal plate that I had to slide out to see the bobbin. My Brother has a plastic one, and I just have to lift the fabric slightly to check. Still, I sometimes run out. Isn't it irritating though, to look and realize that what you thought was done, is not?

dunster 06-13-2017 06:22 AM

I can usually tell by a change in sound when the bobbin is running out on the longarm, and on the Bernina I can tell after it's out if I'm listening and paying attention. But all too often I'm not paying attention, so I sew a mile before realizing. It's particularly irritating when the fabric has been pinned "just so" and the pins removed after the stitching without thread.

quilterpurpledog 06-13-2017 06:55 AM

Been there all too many times. I usually notice when turning a corner-the top thread just lays there. Actually, my machine changes sound, but, I don't always notice. However, just like Murphy's law, it never happens in an easy spot-always when precision pinning was.

redstilettos 06-13-2017 09:04 AM

Ugh.....not to complain, but this is a major irritation for me. I need to do a better job of checking my bobbin....and each time I run out I swear I will. But then I get "into it" and ...well....forget. Too much fun sewing to stop and check something like that.
But....oh do I feel your pain!

annette1952 06-13-2017 09:49 AM

Usually I can tell the difference in the sound of the machine when it runs out but not always.I have probably went a foot or so. I would love a indicator on my machine telling when the bobbin is low. Great feature!

cathyvv 06-13-2017 11:03 AM

I used to zip along and do my best ever sewing with no bobbin thread. At least I never had to rip those seams out! Now, I recognize the sound difference from bobbin threaded to bobbin no longer threaded, so catch it fairly quickly.

rryder 06-13-2017 03:26 PM

Happened to me today while doing some straight line quilting with 12 wt thread.. I went more than 2 feet before I realized my bobbin had run out. Starting back up mid-line was not an option since there would be no easy way to disguise my stop and new start with such a thick thread. Fortunately, it was easy to pick out the stitching all the way to the beginning so I could start that line over....:rolleyes:

Rob

Onebyone 06-14-2017 04:15 AM

One of my machines has the bobbin low light feature. I rarely notice it when it comes on, just another light on the machine with all the rest that are lit up. The top thread I notice because it will loop.

mhollifiel 06-14-2017 06:18 AM

It's like discovering you missed the turn when your mind comes out of the chain piecing "haze" to realize you should have "turned right" back at that gas station 8 miles back! I do it all too often. I'm a big block piecer and longarmers everywhere are my best friends! Let's don't think about how this must feel to my wonderful longarmers. I am into "production" for my charity quilts so not getting the seam together at the first shot can really interfere. I have looked up (awakened!) to discover a couple of dozen big blocks not joined or more.

Still I smile, drop back and punt (as my football player husband called it), replace the bobbin, and reestablish my process. BECAUSE it beats the heck out of ripping out even one seam! I hugely dislike unsewing.