Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Non-judged quilt show entries (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/non-judged-quilt-show-entries-t188375.html)

Dina 05-08-2012 09:21 AM

Non-judged quilt show entries

I have just found out that our Quilt Show might have a non-judged category. This almost interests me, as I have no competitive bone in my body. Has anyone entered a quilt like this and been content with that, or I am just too weird for words??

Dina

QuiltE 05-08-2012 09:40 AM

There's still a joy in seeing your quilt hanging on display!
If you're not interested in competing, then go for it.

Check the rules ... it could be that the non-competitive class, are for quilts that do not qualify for any of the classes.

This is one of my pieces which tends to not qualify for specific classes.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t114217.html

I entered it last year in three competitive classes labelled as "something you want to show, yet there is not class for it. I found out later, that these classes, aren't just done to let people like me show something they are proud of ... it also is there to give them some insights into new classes that they should create for future shows. I've heard that this year, at least 2 of the shows will have a class based on the attention my entry received at the shows. (FYI she won a red ribbon [red=1st in Canada] at each of those three shows!!!)

Hinterland 05-08-2012 09:46 AM

You're not too weird for words!!

At our show, the non-judged category is for those quilters who don't want to be judged, but still want to contribute to the show.

Janet

feline fanatic 05-08-2012 09:46 AM

To me, almost all the fun in entering a quilt show is in seeing your quilt hanging up for display. I have entered the Bennington quiltfest 3 times and it is totally non-judged. There is a Peoples choice award where spectators vote for their favorite quilt and there are vendors choice and that is it. You are not wierd, I think it is great fun just to see your quilt hanging in the show. It is also fun to watch spectators reaction to your quilt. go for it!!

BellaBoo 05-08-2012 09:59 AM

I won Viewer's Choice at a quilt show for a quilt that I was told not to enter because it had chopped off points and seams that didn't meet. It was one of the first sampler quilts I made and I had no clue how to make it perfect. I thought well if only perfect quilts were entered then the beginners would never enter a show. I won Viewer's Choice even though the judges wouldn't jury it in. My prize package was better then the 1st place winning quilt too! I have entered a quilt in every local show since, some very good, some a mess.

Dina 05-08-2012 10:28 AM

QuiltE, love your quilt! I have never seen anything like that. Just wow.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I actually piece pretty well, but I honestly prefer SID and I KNOW that is not competitive in quilt shows. My quilts are quite different than most of the others that are shown in my guild also, as most seem to prefer a more traditional quilt than mine are. Our quilt show is advertising they will have over 100 quilts, and now there is concern that not enough quilts will be entered. That is one reason I am considering it.

I am still thinking on the idea. The show isn't until October...so I have plenty of time to think yet. :)

Dina

QuiltE 05-08-2012 10:37 AM

Thanks Dina ... of all the things I've done, I'm probably the most proud of Miss Mazel ... probably just because of her uniqueness and the challenge it was to me, to see her completed. We used to show the "live"version ... so there's a little more meaning to the work. I'm hoping to find a few more shows this season, to take her to. Sure is easier, than when we took the real ones!! :)

Good Luck with your showing ... and do consider showing in the competitive. As BellaBoo pointed out, sometimes we do get surprises ... and I've had quite a few with the ones I've shown, too.

hobo2000 05-08-2012 10:48 AM

You are not weird. However, I love the information that comes back to you about your quilt. Some of the best tips I ever heard was from quilt judges about things I hadn't even thought about. It was worth every penny to put that quilt into competition, not for the money but to see what things you missed without realizing it. JMHO

dunster 05-08-2012 11:05 AM

Most of the quilt shows around here are not judged and the only requirements for entering a quilt are that it be clean and completed. They're put on by guilds or other groups as a means of raising money and community awareness for quilting.

lalaland 05-08-2012 03:16 PM

I love that idea! I bet there will be a lot of entries. I've made quilts that were really no great shakes, but they turned out so pretty, or the configuration was so interesting, that I would have just liked people to see them.