Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not enough fabric for backing and cannot find anymore (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-enough-fabric-backing-cannot-find-anymore-t207749.html)

karate lady 12-07-2012 11:45 AM

this is what I would do as do many others..

Originally Posted by LoisM (Post 5701166)
People use multiple colors on the backs of quilts all the time. You could cut your flannel in half...spread it apart and insert a coordinating piece in the middle or you could cut it in multiple places and use your coordinating pieces that way. I know others on the board will come up with examples for you.

Vat 12-07-2012 11:48 AM

You can use lots of fabrics on the back or even make it reversible.

Michellesews 12-07-2012 02:12 PM

Whenever we come up short it is a "design opportunity"! Do you have any extra blocks from the front of the quilt? Often quilters will incorporate the "left overs" into the backing. Also, piece a coordinating fabric right down the middle of the backing, everyone will talk about how clever you are and nobody will know you goofed on the backing...afterall, it was a design opportunity. Some of my mistakes and led to some of my best designs! That is what makes is so much fun, to me, anyway.

linynp 12-07-2012 02:53 PM

i do it alllll the time! My measuring tape is broken- can't take an accurate measurement to save it's life! I have rulers that do the same thing- terrible I tell you LOL! If I knew how to post photos I could show you last weeks quilt in fact ALL my backs are pieced (bad tape mearsure bad tape measure!).

MimiBug123 12-07-2012 03:52 PM

Quilter's piece their backs all the time. Think outside the box on this one. Maybe you can cut the fabric and put several other pieces in it, vertically or horizontally. It will be beautiful!

maryellen2u 12-07-2012 07:48 PM

Oh boy do I know how you feel Sletinski!? The same thing happened to me. I made a polka dot basket quilt with a white on white polka dot background. Just as I was starting this project all the fabric manufacturers of the world decided to stop making white on white dots. I do not have enough for the back! I have a bit of the border I am going to piece in and pray to the quilting gods that it is enough to make a back!

minstrel 12-08-2012 08:40 AM

Had the same thing happen to me on my first bed quilt. I had two pieces of fabric in same open plaid, but different color. Used the cream background on lower part of quilt and the burgundy background on top edge, about the width of pillow and looks like I meant to do that. I piece backs all the time now. Easy, peasy and looks just fine.

dbright 12-08-2012 10:14 AM

I always put left overs from the front on the back. Most of my quilts are on the couch or chair and you see the back. I think of the back as another front.

Pamela M 12-09-2012 05:55 PM

If you still want the material, you could try www.missingfabrics.com.