Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not to keep stirring the pot, but.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-keep-stirring-pot-but-t61649.html)

quilterguy27 08-27-2010 08:59 AM

Another Mag with the same statement about who can make what for who and who has control over what you make. I've heard so many of you say you are cancelling your subscription of McCalls because of the copyright statement in the front of the magazine. Well, I just got my issue of Quilter's Home mag and it has the same statement in it. I'm only due one more issue and I won't be renewing my subscription to this mag or any other. I will be checking from now on. Thanks for the other thread about this topic! I just went and Googled Creative Crafts Group, LLC and Quilter's Home is under the same umbrella as McCalls as well as a bunch of other magazines, so if anyone else is thinking of discontinuing your subscription or for any other reason you might want to check them out, you can find out who has this statement in their magazine. Just my little rant. Thanks for listening!

hobo2000 08-27-2010 09:05 AM

Its on the internet too. I just pulled down a pattern and the website stated "For home use only. For other uses please contact me for permission atxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" Not for salable items.

mom-6 08-27-2010 09:32 AM

I can understand not wanting everybody and their uncle (or aunt) making $ off of your design, but I really don't see how you can keep people from looking at the picture or the finished product and doing something very much like it even without buying the pattern. Once I see something, I can pretty much figure out how it was done and if I want to do one more or less like it, I can. Now even when I buy a pattern, I don't often do it just like the pattern anyway, so in one sense I've made it my own even with a pattern.

If I were going to set up a manufacturing plant and make hundreds of thousands of them, using their patten exactly, that would be a totally different issue, but if I'm doing several dozen over a period of months, and I didn't have the pattern or else modified the pattern to my own specifications, I hardly see the copyright issue as totally relevant.

lynnie 08-27-2010 09:32 AM

Why do they bothe to publish!!!!!

franie 08-27-2010 09:36 AM

We ran into a problem with a free mystery pattern posted on the Internet. When we asked to use it at the retreat we were refused and told it was for shop use only. Another one posted on the internet we had to pay $50 to use it for a mystery quilt. Be very careful. But we figured even in this huge state of AK we might be tattled on. It is a scary world out there. Sue happy people.

dakotamaid 08-27-2010 10:08 AM

I understand if you don't buy the pattern and figure it out by yourself just add your stamp (variation) to it and it can be called original. (?)

C.Cal Quilt Girl 08-27-2010 10:17 AM

That's sad considering many of these have been made for years, the economy's in the tank and only the exclusive believe they have the right to limit other view points and variations, considering some use could be the difference between feeding and cloting your family. Not that others aren't trying to do the same, Micro buisness vs Big buisness, and who profits??
I don't like limiting any one to make a living, at any level, some things are not legally, but morally questionable.
Whew off the box I come.

hobo2000 08-27-2010 10:45 AM

Thats passion lady,passion and that is what makes change.

bearisgray 08-27-2010 11:06 AM

There are some patterns and designs that appear to me to be truly original.

Where things get stuck in my craw is when someone takes old stand by blocks - like 9-patch, shoo-fly, variable star, rail fence - and then claims a copyright for the pattern.

Conniequilts 08-27-2010 11:14 AM

I don't generally weigh in on topics like this but it has been consistent and confusing.

This is my view point (right or wrong) - I have paid for the pattern so what I make with it is my business and what I do with it after that is my business.

I understand I should not re-sell the pattern and especially not for a profit. I also have no problem with respecting not copying it and sharing it with others.

I strongly believe their control over a quilt should END with the purchasing of the pattern.

Just my thoughts ;)