Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not a newbie, but acting like one! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-newbie-but-acting-like-one-t189636.html)

mdall 05-21-2012 01:25 PM

Love the colors and theme. You sound like me. If I decide to make a quilt without a pattern I am sure to goof on not one but pretty much everything. I get frustrated and dh loves it because I then start to make grumbling and snorting noise. He finds the noises very amusing. Just like I would you have hung in there and now will have a pretty quilt so show for. Of course there will most likely be on or two more flubs before its done. Thanks for sharing, nice to know Im not the only one that does not have a quilting calculator installed in my head.LOL

quiltsRfun 05-21-2012 01:28 PM

You have more patience than I do. I don't do a lot of ripping but tend to "learn from my mistakes" and go on to the next quilt. :)

spokanequilter 05-21-2012 01:34 PM

On a couple of occasions I have so royally messed up the planning/cutting stage of a quilt (and not necessarily due to mixing rum and rotary cutters, but maybe vodka....) that I had to completely rethink the pattern - a "remix" I call it. Those remix quilts are my favorites!!

Marilynsue 05-21-2012 01:35 PM

I love your quilt and hope you do to!

thimblebug6000 05-21-2012 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by faykilgore (Post 5232976)
So, here's the quilt as it is finished so far. I'm not sure which of the 3 fabrics should go into the border triangles, but I'm between the black spotted and the blue tools.

If you have enough fabric, the black spotted in a narrow border & the blue tools in a wider border would be my choice. And thanks for the play by play..... hits pretty close to home for me too sometimes!
PS. even quilting software doesn't stop you from cutting/piecing errors..... :p

GingerK 05-21-2012 01:56 PM

Thanks for the blow-by-blow (and beer works well with rotary cutters but should be avoided when trying to measure anything at all!!) I agree with Spokanequilter--the quilts that I have screwed up and had to replan are some of the best that I have made.

You have beautiful quilt. I love the bright colours and the tool theme. Hmmmm....DH loves to build furniture.....Christmas is only 7 months away.....

Neesie 05-21-2012 03:44 PM

Ahhhh! Another kindred spirit! :thumbup: Seriously, some times when I sew, it all just falls into place. Other times . . . well, I've learned to always buy more fabric than I "should" need. :)

QUILTNMO 05-21-2012 03:57 PM

oh dear at least you made it right i know your pain been there myself

Helen S 05-21-2012 04:03 PM

LOL! Great story! Thanks for sharing. I think I'd use the black for the border...and BTW...it really IS cute!

DogHouseMom 05-21-2012 04:22 PM

I can't get over the irony of the fact that you had so many construction problems making a quilt of construction tools. Too bad those tools didn't pop off the fabric and give you a hand!!

Thanks for letting us laugh. We've all been there before (just not with construction tools!).