Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Not a newbie, but acting like one!

Not a newbie, but acting like one!

This is going to be long and messy, but this quilt turned into such a comedy of errors I had to take pictures and share. Maybe someone will learn from my mistakes. Most of you will just have a good laugh.

This was the first mistake. Don't mix rum and rotary cutters. I've made this quilt before, but forgot I'd enlarged the block to accommodate the 71/2 tool squares.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

So, after cutting 5 squares too small, I managed to salvage one by adding a black border using a 1/8th inch seam allowance and hand top stitching it to hopefully stabilize it. I may also do fray stop just for insurance. Then I made the pinwheel block and it took over the quilt.
    Fay

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland.

So, I cut them down!
    Fay

Then I decided I didn't like the blue star points next to the blue tool fabric, so I added a 1/4" edge to separate them. I made a quilt recently using 3 color pinwheels, but did I remember how to stack the fabric? Obviously not.

Fay

So, I ripped those apart and added larger strips, trimmed them correctly, and sewed them onto the squares. They were too big. I hadn't adjusted the triangles for the extra 1/4", just added them to the previously sized triangles. At least those I could cut down without wasting any more fabric!
    Fay

At least you've maintained a positive attitude!
    Heather

So, here's the quilt as it is finished so far. I'm not sure which of the 3 fabrics should go into the border triangles, but I'm between the black spotted and the blue tools.
    Fay

Oh, yeah, the little pinwheel in the Right corner? I made it too small. I'm seriously considering investing in quilting software!
    Fay

Thank you for sharing! I needed a little lift-me-up! :-)

LOL this is almost like a tutorial! Bless your heart. I must say it is very pretty and bright and I like it no matter what!

Blog Entries
    Love the colors and theme. You sound like me. If I decide to make a quilt without a pattern I am sure to goof on not one but pretty much everything. I get frustrated and dh loves it because I then start to make grumbling and snorting noise. He finds the noises very amusing. Just like I would you have hung in there and now will have a pretty quilt so show for. Of course there will most likely be on or two more flubs before its done. Thanks for sharing, nice to know Im not the only one that does not have a quilting calculator installed in my head.LOL

Blog Entries
    You have more patience than I do. I don't do a lot of ripping but tend to "learn from my mistakes" and go on to the next quilt.

On a couple of occasions I have so royally messed up the planning/cutting stage of a quilt (and not necessarily due to mixing rum and rotary cutters, but maybe vodka....) that I had to completely rethink the pattern - a "remix" I call it. Those remix quilts are my favorites!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Blog Entries
    I love your quilt and hope you do to!
    Every Sunrise brings a blessing

Quote Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
    So, here's the quilt as it is finished so far. I'm not sure which of the 3 fabrics should go into the border triangles, but I'm between the black spotted and the blue tools.
    If you have enough fabric, the black spotted in a narrow border & the blue tools in a wider border would be my choice. And thanks for the play by play..... hits pretty close to home for me too sometimes!
    PS. even quilting software doesn't stop you from cutting/piecing errors.....

Thanks for the blow-by-blow (and beer works well with rotary cutters but should be avoided when trying to measure anything at all!!) I agree with Spokanequilter--the quilts that I have screwed up and had to replan are some of the best that I have made.

You have beautiful quilt. I love the bright colours and the tool theme. Hmmmm....DH loves to build furniture.....Christmas is only 7 months away.....
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Ahhhh! Another kindred spirit! Seriously, some times when I sew, it all just falls into place. Other times . . . well, I've learned to always buy more fabric than I "should" need.

Power Poster
    oh dear at least you made it right i know your pain been there myself
    QUILTNMO

LOL! Great story! Thanks for sharing. I think I'd use the black for the border...and BTW...it really IS cute!
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

I can't get over the irony of the fact that you had so many construction problems making a quilt of construction tools. Too bad those tools didn't pop off the fabric and give you a hand!!

Thanks for letting us laugh. We've all been there before (just not with construction tools!).
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Remember, we are laughing with you not at you. Love the quilt by the way.
    Happy Quilting.

Thanks so much for posting the process! Having just completed the quilt from hell myself, you've made me laugh. Wish I'd taken pictures of mine, but I would rather forget it.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    I like the pretty bright colors. You, being the creator, are probably the only one who notices those things.

Thanks, everyone. I am planning on making the outside triangles out of the blue tool print since that is in all the other triangles that create the star block. I will probably bind it with the black polka dot.
    Fay

Blog Entries
    Good choice!! That's what I was thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
    Thanks, everyone. I am planning on making the outside triangles out of the blue tool print since that is in all the other triangles that create the star block. I will probably bind it with the black polka dot.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast