Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Not a newbie, but acting like one!

Blog Entries
    well I think it turned out rather nice

Thank you for this post. It was nice to see I'm not the only one with "those" kind of experiences. I attended quilt group today and unsewed nearly as much as I sewed. You lifted my spirits.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    I can feel your pain and definitely identify with it -- I just finished "the quilt from hell" with many, many mistakes and as soon as I recover I will post a picture and list all the errors -- live and learn (and keep on growing).

I'm still laughing!!!! Thanks a million for sharing the frequently awful world of quilting. Best line was "not mixing rum and rotary cutters" ROFL. This quilt will be one you won't forget anytime soon, nor will any of us thoroughly entertained by your honesty and humor.

It gave me a good laugh. I though I had made it, looks like most of my quilts. Just love it to pieces . joyce j

When you have finished the quilt top it will look very "planned". I love the pinwheels.
    Sweet Caroline

I really like the final version of your quilt. I can relate to the frustration you have gone through. I think at one time or another most of us have a similar experience.
    Lorraine

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    It was the mention of rum that caught my attention, LOL! Think I'll fix a rare gin and tonic while waiting for my potato to bake tonight. I'll be sharing your pain in mind while I enjoy it, LOL!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by gramarraine View Post
    I really like the final version of your quilt. I can relate to the frustration you have gone through. I think at one time or another most of us have a similar experience.
    Amen to that! It's all a learning experience. For example, I've recently learned a seam can be ripped out and redone, only so many times, before the entire piece of fabric must be replaced.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Rum and Rotary both start with an R - they should mix better than they do. lol - you did say we could laugh, right? Your story was really something. I cracked up but only because I've been there. Good save though and my vote goes for the black fabric in the setting triangles. It needs the grounding.

Wow!! What a learning experience -- a great set of things to remember for someone like me who somtimes wanders from the pattern. I have quilt software, but normally find myself plotting things out on graph paper before I start cutting since when I don't I have experiences similar to yours -- particularly if there is a week or so between times I work on the project.

Keep at it -- it is a great quilt.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I have to applaud your attitude and your inventiveness (spelling?). Everything I've done so far has been appliqued blocks or embroidery on white. I will probably be muttering a few words when I get that far! I love the quilt. My husband was a cabinet maker, so we always had tools everywhere, even on my kitchen counters!

Jeanette Frantz

Power Poster
    It turned out great and we all have had bad days! I would put the black poka dots in your border triangles.
    SueDor

Blog Entries
    Been there, done that, got the t-shirt...and a beer.....I feel your pain!

I think it's so cute! Love the fabrics!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Listen! It's still an awesome quilt. I am a beginner, and I love that someone who has experience still messes up and is willing to admit it. It makes me feel like there is hope for me! LOL

Honey, you have jut described my quilting life! I make so many mistakes I just shake my head and keep moving on.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes ya just have to walk away and come back later. And scream a little, talk to yourself.
    Linda

Oh my gosh, I've actually been there and done exactly that. I'm an upside down backward lefty so I'm always having problems like this. It's so frustrating and it doesn't get better with practice. Sometimes I have a meltdown and just give up for a while until I can face the seam ripping (yes, the seam ripper is my best friend), recutting, resewing, etc.
    Thanks so much for making me feel better.

I love this tutorial, and I am sooooo glad to know that I am not the only "blonde moment" in this group. roflma!! Thank you so much for sharing this and for keeping on when you could have quit! I love this quilt!
    Chrystina
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning.., Satan shudders & says ..."Oh no....she's awake"

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChrystinapCreations

thank you for giving me the laugh of the morning! I thought I was the only "blonde moment" in the group? I have done this more than once and never even thought of taking pictures and sharing with someone!! Some projects just start out trying to stump you, and you just refuse to give them up! You go girl!!!
    Chrystina
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning.., Satan shudders & says ..."Oh no....she's awake"

https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChrystinapCreations

All I can say this will be one beautiful quilt when it is all completed. Keep up the great attitude and job.

Sorry you were having all those problems, look at it this way you really got to be creative. The quilt is very pretty.

Oh My Goodness! FAY, you have taken on the dragon this time, haven't you! Don't you just hate it when everything you try to do is WRONG!? Good for your tenacity to stick with it, girl! Can't wait to see the finished product. I know it will look great!
    I'm afraid it it were me making this quilt top, I'd have to put it down for a while and do something else....of course by the time I might get back to it, the child I was making it for could have grandchildren! LOL,LOL

Good Luck and on plugging away!
    Hugs, Drue
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

Blog Entries
    I really like the yellow outlining the HSTs to make the stars REALLY stand out. All-in-all, your boo-boos made a better, not worse, quilt.

I wish I had the sense to take pictures as I work my way through a quilt, mistake after mistake. LOL

I vote for the tool fabric in the border to pull everything together.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast