Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not Random Enough (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-random-enough-t288317.html)

Dina 05-17-2017 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by popover (Post 7826014)
If you plan it, it isn't random any more.

True, it becomes "organized scrappy," which is just fine too. :)

Dina

AVFD215 05-17-2017 02:39 PM

The last scrappy I did was a extra large Christmas tree skirt. I made the rows with random charm squares, but I used the design wall to help keep the same squares side by side. That is about as random as I have done so far.
Mike

Boston1954 05-17-2017 04:21 PM

A design wall is a good idea, but I thought I did not have enough room for that.....until I saw a picture of one. I have something Jim made me with those black metal clips on a long board, to hang quilts and tops to take their photographs. I have just hung a moderate sized piece of batting on it. "Poof" I have a design wall. Thanks everyone. :)

Jingle 05-17-2017 06:00 PM

I use dining table for kid sized quilts, my full size bed for full size or a tad larger. I mark rows with washable markers. Sometimes they still get out place because I turn a different way to sew. When thar happens I either rip or just live with it.

QuiltnNan 05-18-2017 01:04 AM

a friend and i discovered at a retreat that we can notice "mis-placement" of colors better when we look through the camera lens

lindaschipper 05-18-2017 04:27 AM

I wish there were space for a design wall, but don't have it. Having one would really help on scrappy quilts. One reason why my seam ripper stays sharp and ready to rip!!

Macybaby 05-18-2017 04:44 AM

That is what I don't like about "scrappy". I find I spend more time "planning" layout for scrappy quilts than planned quilts.

I've done a few totally random, and then accept what I get. Most often what I want is not random, but a nice intermix of variety with as little repeat as possible. Doing that takes a lot of planning!

juliea9967 05-18-2017 05:22 AM

I use this method all the time. It surprises me what I find with a picture, that I did not see just looking at the design wall. Very helpful.

Originally Posted by redstilettos (Post 7826105)
Wow....very smart!!

TheCloser 05-19-2017 01:28 PM

I can't do random. Hung batting on one wall, that is my design wall. Good luck. 😇

ube quilting 05-19-2017 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper (Post 7826459)
I wish there were space for a design wall, but don't have it. Having one would really help on scrappy quilts. One reason why my seam ripper stays sharp and ready to rip!!

Try this: A wall hanging made with 9 Ohio Star blocks. Make all the star points in as many different color reds as you have that are near the same value or color saturation.

Make the star centers 4P or 9P in all blues close to the same color value or color saturation

Make the back grounds in all different off whites or creamy whites. Use as many as you can in each block

You can use what ever three color combination you want. Pinks, greens, creams; golds, purple, greens; teals, corals, browns.

This will give you some practice in choosing colors randomly for each color but the placement of the color is uniform.