Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not Random Enough (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-random-enough-t288317.html)

Boston1954 05-17-2017 10:24 AM

Not Random Enough

I like a lot of colors. I love scrappy quilts, but no matter how well I think I am planning, something always ends up being too close to another piece of the same fabric (at least to my eyes).

Does someone have a way to "plan" random? Will it come down to pinning numbered pieces of paper to each square?

bearisgray 05-17-2017 10:45 AM

Depends on how much it matters to you.

I do know what you mean about "random enough" - and it does bother me if there are "clumps" of color in spots when I want them "scattered."

quiltingcandy 05-17-2017 10:54 AM

I have 250 different Christmas fabrics so I wanted to make a scrappy Christmas quilt, I cut out all the squares and put them in order of background color only, then I went one at a time and put them in rows. Or you could start in the center and work out. Center row then the row above and then the row below.
I then pick up a row at a time and then I number the row.

Doggramma 05-17-2017 11:03 AM

the design wall helps where I can step back, then rearrange before sewing. People seem to be able to throw anything together and it looks good. I'm not one of them.

rryder 05-17-2017 11:16 AM

Design wall. Much easier than trying to lay pieces out on the floor or a table. I put my pieces up on the design wall and then take a pic with my cell phone. That really helps since sometimes I notice things in the photo that I didn't see when lookin at the real thing. Also you can turn the photo into a black and white pic and see if you've got the values arranged the way you want them.

Rob

Tartan 05-17-2017 12:04 PM

I used my design wall and take numerous pictures. I settle for not having the same fabric right next to each other or a blob of one colour blocks together.

popover 05-17-2017 12:10 PM

If you plan it, it isn't random any more.

ube quilting 05-17-2017 01:29 PM

I use the put the scraps in the bag and pull them out. If I don't like what I pulled next to what I have, just toss it back and pull again. Look up Bonnie Hunters Quiltsville you will see her method and see is the queen of scrappy.
peace

Austinite 05-17-2017 02:00 PM

The last scrappy I did was six inch blocks from my largest scrap bin, I'd do a row and then step back and then make a few more rows then lay them out, go watch a show or something else for a bit then come back and look at it again. It took longer but I'm very happy with the result

redstilettos 05-17-2017 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 7825986)
Design wall. Much easier than trying to lay pieces out on the floor or a table. I put my pieces up on the design wall and then take a pic with my cell phone. That really helps since sometimes I notice things in the photo that I didn't see when lookin at the real thing. Also you can turn the photo into a black and white pic and see if you've got the values arranged the way you want them.

Rob

Wow....very smart!!