Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Not warm enough (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/not-warm-enough-t152053.html)

FayZ 09-11-2011 06:44 AM

I made a quilt for my son and he said he wishes it was a little warmer. I think I used a poly batting. I was wondering if there is a warmer batt or should I double up? FayZ

butterflies5518 09-11-2011 07:19 AM

I am unable to answer your question - we live in Texas, but as a newbie will be watching responses for those in the know. Thanks for asking,

meemersmom 09-11-2011 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by FayZ
I made a quilt for my son and he said he wishes it was a little warmer. I think I used a poly batting. I was wondering if there is a warmer batt or should I double up? FayZ

There is a batting out there called Thermore made by Hobbs. It is just about the same as the old Thinsulate batting that used to be sold. Very warm and lightweight. Just can't use fabric softener when its washed. I use it very frequently. It really comes in handy here in Buffalo in the winter!

Also...I use it with anti-pill fleece for the backing. When I make quilts like this, people tell me its the only covering they need at night when its cold.

S D G 09-11-2011 07:22 AM

We use warm and natural here in IN. It is very warm and light weight. IMO.

QultingaddictUK 09-11-2011 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by S D G
We use warm and natural here in IN. It is very warm and light weight. IMO.

I love using W n N when I can afford it, I made a lovely warm quilt with it and also backed it with a lovely flannel, it turned out so cosy.

NJ Quilter 09-11-2011 07:32 AM

I would say unless you are MQ'ing, do not double up your batting. I use W&N 100% cotton batting and I've had nothing but positive comments about how warm the quilt it is. I made the mistake of doubling this and hand quilting on my first quilt. Doable but painful. And probably not necessary based on later experience.

Sadiemae 09-11-2011 07:41 AM

Warm and Natural is warmer than Poly, or you can use wool is you want it warmer. If you wamt to double the batting, I would use a cotton batting like warm and natural along with a wool batting.

jmabby 09-11-2011 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by meemersmom

There is a batting out there called Thermore made by Hobbs. It is just about the same as the old Thinsulate batting that used to be sold. Very warm and lightweight. Just can't use fabric softener when its washed. I use it very frequently. It really comes in handy here in Buffalo in the winter!

Also...I use it with anti-pill fleece for the backing. When I make quilts like this, people tell me its the only covering they need at night when its cold.

Can you tell me why you can't use fabric softner, love the smell of April Fresh.

meemersmom 09-11-2011 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by jmabby

Originally Posted by meemersmom

Can you tell me why you can't use fabric softner, love the smell of April Fresh.

Just like with Thinsulate and down, warmth depends on the air in between as insulation. Fabric softener coats the fibers, and they don't "fluff up" as much, so less air, less insulation, and less warmth.
Edited to add: I love the smell of Downy, too. To scent something, I put a little bit on a washcloth, get it wet, wring it out, and toss in the dryer for a couple of minutes with the dried quilt/garment. You get the scent, but it doesn't go through all layers, leaving the insulation intact.

Vanuatu Jill 09-11-2011 08:21 AM

I love W&N and get it at Joann's when it is either 50% off (plus use my 10% off card on top of that), or wait until I have a 50% off coupon. Makes it more affordable then. Since I use it mostly living here (I always used poly in the tropics), I bought a roll when it was 50% off and used my 10% - so a 60% savings warrented the whole roll. I still have enough left to make one more queen quilt-which I am next, so I better be on the watch for another 50% off sale!