Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Now it has happened and I don't want it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/now-has-happened-i-dont-want-t65670.html)

bsktkeeper 09-19-2010 06:01 PM

Why Do people think because We quilt that we can do it for then too. I figure when I do it for other ( exceptions to all rules), it is a job . I don't work any more , especially for people I don't really know

trisha 09-19-2010 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom
If you eventually want to work for others thats fine.
I don't.
My answer to requests is "Sorry. No. This is something I do for me. When I start doing this for others it becomes work and I no longer enjoy it"

I say sort of the same thing. I tell them I can't be put on a deadline so quilt may take me 3 to 4 years to get it done.

amma 09-19-2010 06:59 PM

I am glad that you were able to say no to her. I tell my family and friends "no" too. If we don't? we could have years worth of quilts lined up, and no time for the ones we really want to do LOL :D:D:D

ladyredhawk 09-19-2010 07:26 PM

that is just what I did told my niece that she could get some fabric she likes and the cotton batting and material bor the backing. I would charge her 40.00 for making it. She went to see the price of the supplies and she has not even said another word about it. I told her that was cheap. lol

Leota 09-19-2010 07:32 PM

Tell her "Oh I don't make quilts for other people, BUT I'll be happy to teach you how to make your own." This usually shuts them up.

CarrieAnne 09-19-2010 07:49 PM

JUST SAY NO!

craftybear 09-19-2010 07:52 PM

tell them this is a hobby for yourself to make things for yourself!
and if you would make a quilt for someone it would be expensive with cost of fabric, thread, wear and tear on your sewing machine, and labor charge is very expensive

Originally Posted by deedum
Just when I think I have moved past the "newbie" stage and feeling somewhat confident and yet totally aware that my skills still need work, out of the blue this past week, 3 people have asked me to make them some things. One lady didn't ask, she just stated she has a quilt she wants me to make for her hubby. I replied " I have a quilt that I want to make for mine". She still thinks I am going to and I dont want to! Nor do I intend too, I am not that good and even so, I rarely have time to sew any myself!

Can someone tell me why, when I click on new topic, it never comes up new topic?

watson's mom 09-19-2010 08:01 PM

I have startd saying 'No' also, people take advantage of you if you don't. I don't tell anyone to learn to quilt for themselves, they might ask me to teach them and if I don't have time to quilt for them, I sure don't have time to teach them either. This might sound mean or selfish but I worked for 33 years in a car plant and now I just want to do what I want to do.

grammyp 09-19-2010 08:12 PM

I usually say something like "I'll let you know when I have time to do it, I'm pretty booked right now".

Bobbinchick 09-19-2010 08:37 PM

I'm retired too and yes some quilts do take a looonnnggg time to make and to quilt for all that matters. I don't mind making a quilt to give as a gift, but I will not make quilts for every Tom, Dick, and Harry out there. Huggies, Fay