Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Now it has happened and I don't want it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/now-has-happened-i-dont-want-t65670.html)

gramquilter2 09-20-2010 10:55 AM

Give them a price that includes fabric, and time, most people do not want to pay for the work involved in doing a quilt. I was on a web site looking for a pattern that I saw at a National Quilt show, and the designer/quilter had a price on the quilt I loved, $65,000, my husband says I can't buy it!!LOL

featherweight 09-20-2010 10:55 AM

I think I would have to tell her, "I was at the LQS and guess what??? They are having quilting classes there. Maybe you should sign up for some, I am sure you would enjoy them and your husband would surely like this quilt better if you had made it all by yourself!!!

klgreene 09-20-2010 12:32 PM

I have a friend who would really like me to make her a quilt. But I told her that the cost of the material, and if she paid me by the hour, it would just cost her too much. She also lives in Canada, and I live in New Mexico, so that's a bunch just to mail. I just tell people, if I start doing it for money, then it isn't a hobby and I'll hate it. And since quilting is what I mainly do, I surely don't want to hate it.

Jamiestitcher62 09-20-2010 12:36 PM

Yea, I have a boss who actually thinks that because I quilt I am also a clothing designer and is always asking me to fix their stuff or hem their pants. I am barely functional when it comes to clothing. Very stressful.

KellyK 09-20-2010 12:59 PM

And even if they do agree to pay you for the material and time, they might not come through!

The first quilt I ever bought had been commisioned from my neighbor by a "friend" of hers. She showed it to me completed (baby quilt) and I was in awe. Weeks later, she still hadn't been paid. I bought it from her and considered myself to have been the lucky one!

quilting grammy 09-20-2010 01:06 PM

I HAVE LEARNED TO SAY NO I AM SORRY , BUT I CAN NOT. I DO NOT SEW FOR OTHER PEOPLE. BE NICE BUT FIRM.

fancifrock 09-20-2010 01:25 PM

There is a one syllable word that I find works just fine NO. If she is truely your friend, suggest that she learn to quilt for herself. I quilt for fun!!!!!

Frankie 09-20-2010 02:40 PM

I don't want to be paid to make a quilt, what if I ruin it?? Don't want that kind of pressure and then I'd loose a friend in the deal. A friends mother asked me to quilt up all these blocks she made, and I said no I don't quilt for others, she was miffed and my DH was annoyed that I said no. I said to hubby what if she didn't like the result then what? I'd have lost a friend and this way she may be miffed for a wile but then she'll get over it. If she really wanted it quilted she'd get it done by someone who advertises their services. She just wanted me to do it for free. I want my hobby to stay a hobby.

postal packin' mama 09-20-2010 03:48 PM

A dear friend wants me to make a t-shirt quilt from her old t-shirts and sweatshirts... :o( Yikes! and Ugh!

That probably means using fusible backing??

whine...snivvle...pout..."I don't wanna!"

marlene tarzwell 09-20-2010 03:50 PM

It's OK to say NO!!!