Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OBW cut out remorse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/obw-cut-out-remorse-t110350.html)

tlrnhi 03-24-2011 06:16 PM

What one person likes, doesn't mean everyone likes it.
Like they say...if you don't have anything nice to say, then say nothing at all!

I'm not a huge fan of OBW either, but I'm amazed at how beautiful these quilts come out. There are a few OBWs that if I get the chance to get my paws on them, they might just disappear into my suitcase.

sandpat 03-24-2011 06:17 PM

I say just ignore and move past that 1 comment out of several really nice comments.

Now, about your hexs...I think they are working up beautifully! The 1st one I did, I was really wondering about what I had gotten myself into..then the more I played with them, the more I liked it. Its really fun...just keep going! Your hexes look great and I bet the original fabric was gorgeous! Please keep showing what you are doing with them!

gaigai 03-24-2011 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
Like they say...if you don't have anything nice to say, then say nothing at all!

I'm not a huge fan of OBW either, but I'm amazed at how beautiful these quilts come out. There are a few OBWs that if I get the chance to get my paws on them, they might just disappear into my suitcase.

Come on, Terri!! Fess up!! You never met a quilt that you didn't want to disappear into your suitcase!! ROFLMAO!!!!!

Carron 03-24-2011 06:20 PM

Don't quit now! I am just begining with a OBW quilt. Have the strips together and lined up just need to start cutting and sew (so) on.

gaigai 03-24-2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Carron
Don't quit now! I am just begining with a OBW quilt. Have the strips together and lined up just need to start cutting and sew (so) on.

Go Girl!! We'll be here for you!

deanna.r 03-24-2011 06:31 PM

Take your time and follow your plan to sew a few at a time. As others have said, do not sew the halves of your hexagons together! You will find that the final joining of the lines goes quickly once you decide how they should be placed.
You may decide that there are certain hexagons that just don't go with what appears to me to be a primarily blue-green colourway. No rules here-- take them out and use them for something else (eg. applique them in a line to a strip of another fabric and make a table runner). If the resulting quilt is a bit smaller because of that, just add a complimentary border.

When you are arranging them on the design wall, make a pattern that you like, then leave it for a day or two. With a fresh look, you might see it in a different light. I agree with the quilters who said to make them all first, then start placing them on the design wall.

I think the hexagons that you have made so far are beautiful!

tlrnhi 03-24-2011 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by gaigai

Originally Posted by tlrnhi

Come on, Terri!! Fess up!! You never met a quilt that you didn't want to disappear into your suitcase!! ROFLMAO!!!!!

Yes I have! But, I've been nice enough to NOT say anything negative about it. And no...it wasn't one of yours lol

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 03-24-2011 06:35 PM

Do you have any of the original fabric you used? Would love to see the "before" and now we can see the "after".

jaciqltznok 03-24-2011 06:57 PM

she stated she had remorse...a lot of people who get talked into making these quilts do..sorry if you could not read my post as a FOLLOW UP to her statement!

I realize everyone likes different things...I replied to the REMORSE portion of this topic...if a person feels they did something they are not happy about, and they are looking for feel good comments, then don't say you have remorse..say you are not sure this is going to turn out like you thought it might...

I have seen many a people walk away from the OBW class feeling more than remorse over spending all that money on fabric that did not look good once it is was cut...

This might turn out just wonderful for YOU...but the process of these quilts don't look all that great until finished...some times one block will not tell you how the whole quilt will come together...

I am sorry everyone took my post as being nasty..it was my thoughts about why you might be feeling remorseful over having cut this quilt out...it was NOT a nasty comment about YOUR quilt!

Sadiemae 03-24-2011 07:05 PM

I think your individual Hexagons on gorgeous!!!