Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OBW fabric disaster!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/obw-fabric-disaster-t89554.html)

featherweight 01-11-2011 10:47 AM

That is why I prefer not to prewash anything! JMHO

scowlkat 01-11-2011 11:17 AM

My first OBW, I bought some beautiful In The Beginning fabric. I was taking a class so did not wash it as instructed. During the class, my instructor noticed I was having trouble matching my fabric strips. After checking, we found that the last (maybe first) part of the fabric has been printed askew on that part. I lost about a foot of fabric as that was unusable! So it can happen with a new, quality piece of fabric. I was able to make my OBW but it wasn't as large as I'd hoped.

denveremerson 01-11-2011 11:22 AM

I think that's what I'll end up with. But that's okay. Chalk it up to experience!! :-))

Originally Posted by scowlkat
My first OBW, I bought some beautiful In The Beginning fabric. I was taking a class so did not wash it as instructed. During the class, my instructor noticed I was having trouble matching my fabric strips. After checking, we found that the last (maybe first) part of the fabric has been printed askew on that part. I lost about a foot of fabric as that was unusable! So it can happen with a new, quality piece of fabric. I was able to make my OBW but it wasn't as large as I'd hoped.

k3n 01-11-2011 11:45 AM

She clearly says in the book that prewashing should NOT be done as it can distort the fabric. I'm guilty myself of thinking I know better than the instructions from time to time though so I do feel for you! :mrgreen:

I'm sorry this happened and I'm putting this thread in the OBW topic list to help pre-warn others. :-)

c joyce 01-11-2011 01:31 PM

Thank you denveremerson...I just ordered some fabric to try a OBW and now with all these helpful responses you have saved me. I usually wash my fabrics as soon as I get them and would have had it in the wash before reading anything.

Lindsey 01-11-2011 01:48 PM

YOu do not want to wash the fabric for one block wonder. Sorry but they like the sizing in there to keep everything straight..

Lori S 01-11-2011 01:52 PM

This is great info , I had never done a OBW , and getting ready to try one. I would have washed thinking I was doing the right thing.
Any more tips?

roguequilter 01-11-2011 02:12 PM

...of course being me...i am going to have to buy some fab...divide amt in 1/2...wash block/iron one and not the other and see how things turn out....this ought to be fun!

Scissor Queen 01-11-2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by roguequilter
...of course being me...i am going to have to buy some fab...divide amt in 1/2...wash block/iron one and not the other and see how things turn out....this ought to be fun!

Why? There's only one fabric in the whole quilt. It will all shrink exactly the same.

bjnicholson 01-11-2011 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by roguequilter

Why? There's only one fabric in the whole quilt. It will all shrink exactly the same.

This is what I'm thinking. The fabric will shrink after it's done anyway, won't it? Why take the chance of messing up the fabric?