Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OBW fabric disaster!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/obw-fabric-disaster-t89554.html)

Lindsey 01-11-2011 04:41 PM

It gets stretched and goes askew. Its really hard to line up. I am sure they tested it both ways themselves and to save you time and money they are telling you not to wash the fabric. i can see why.

k3n 01-12-2011 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by roguequilter
...of course being me...i am going to have to buy some fab...divide amt in 1/2...wash block/iron one and not the other and see how things turn out....this ought to be fun!

If half shrinks, you'll never line the repeats up between the two halves. There IS a good reason for not washing. IF there's shrinkage afterwards (and I've never seen it in any of the dozen or so that I've made and washed) it will be even across the fabric so unnoticeable.

Someone else was asking for more tips - I'd also say be really careful with the iron - PRESS don't WIGGLE. The key to being precise with these is lining the repeats up as near to perfect as you can - this isn't a stage that ccan be rushed. Once that's done, the rest is fun and straightforward. For further information get one of the books by Maxine Rosenthal and read it right through before starting anything. Then work from it as an instruction manual for the first one you do. Then you really CAN'T go wrong. :-D

steelecg 01-12-2011 04:14 AM

cclip and tear fabric about an inch down the selvage edge and you will get a good on grain line.

#1piecemaker 01-12-2011 05:23 AM

I don't ever prewash anything unless I have to. If it shrinks, it shrinks. Kinda gives a quilt an antiquey look.

damaquilts 01-12-2011 05:25 AM

oh boy I was going to try one of these. I have to wash fabric. I cannot stand the chemicals in them. Maybe if I am really careful when I press.

k3n 01-12-2011 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
oh boy I was going to try one of these. I have to wash fabric. I cannot stand the chemicals in them. Maybe if I am really careful when I press.

You'll really struggle to line up the repeats if you wash the sizing out. It's NOT the pressing that distorts as much as the washing.

As for tearing the fabric as suggested above - this is not the right way to go with stack n whack, OBW or any of these methods - you'll pull the pattern out of true. The fabric should be manipulated as little as possible in order to get the pattern repeats correctly lined up. This is crucial. I'm not purporting to be an 'expert' but I HAVE read all the books from cover to cover and have successfully made a dozen or so of these quilts. Up to you if you follow my advice or not. :-D

mmlctnp 01-12-2011 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim
I know I'm ignorant but what is OBW

One block wonder

damaquilts 01-12-2011 06:01 AM

Well I guess this is one pattern I am going to have to pass on. I am really allergic to the chemicals in the fabrics. I love wandering around fabric stores but have had to limit my time to 30 minutes or less.Total bummer. Fabric comes in my house and goes directly into the washer. The things we do for the love of a passion

amorerm 01-12-2011 06:04 AM

First thing I do when I come home with new fabric is "head to the washer". NOTHING goes into my stash until it is washed, pressed and blocked. Here's a demontration I found to explain "why" and to assure that you have a "straight of grain". Hope this helps.

http://janeweston.blogspot.com/2008/...ready-for.html

She's using a small piece. If you have 2 or more yds. of fabric. Place the fabric on your ironing board lining up the salvage (fabric hanging over both sides of irong board) as she shows and work from the middle of the fabric to one end. Then repeat from the middle and work to the other end of the yardage.

I "never" use starch or any additive when I do this. You never know how long the fabric will be sitting in your stash and how this could affect the fabric

sandpat 01-12-2011 06:23 AM

You can always use the "waste" on the end on the back or to show the original fabric. This will be your "practice" one, so relax, learn the process and let it go....glad you posted about it though so we'll ALL learn the lesson!