Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oh! Good grief!!! They disappeared. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-good-grief-they-disappeared-t250662.html)

ManiacQuilter2 07-24-2014 06:11 AM

Yes, when using the purple be gone, I usually am quilting as I mark. There are not any perfect products out there that works with everything. I prefer using the chalk wheel with darker fabrics. It is easily removed and doesn't leave anything permanent on the fabric. But when marking white. just be careful to remember the rules for each product. I did have a customer iron her quilt with Blue be gone marked on it. I was amazed that I was able to get the marks removed by soaking the quilt overnight is a special soap that is used for older linens. She was delighted.

Panchita 07-24-2014 06:41 AM

Been there, done that! Infuriating, isn't it?!!!

I now use old-fashioned tailor's chalk (perhaps I should add this to the thread about reverting to old ways having tried the new? LOL)

quilterpurpledog 07-25-2014 03:25 AM

As far as I am concerned there is no greater frustration than marking equipment. I have a whole drawer full. I am very dubious about both the blue and purple pens because of the ironing and pressing issues. I do wash my quilts when I complete them but I always wonder about the chemicals. I have used the magic chalk markers that just go away with steam and like them. I have noticed here lately that that formulation comes in several forms such as powder (Pounce powder) I use a small brush to apply it and it works fine with stencils or a design on paper that you pre-stitch (without thread). The powder goes through the holes. It is a bit fragile and could rub away if you fold the quilt and put it away before finishing. I also have that formula in two types of chalk forms- a pencil type and tailor's chalk blocks. I also like chalk pencils because they come out completely. I do think this part of quilting is the hardest decision for me.

2manyhobbies 07-25-2014 04:00 AM

On the bright side, the markings DID come out. I'd rather have that than something I couldn't get out in the end. I like the disappearing ink markers, but you have to work right away, or they do what they're meant to do!

solstice3 07-25-2014 04:03 AM

That would e upsettingBUT it's better than the marks never coming out

quiltinghere 07-25-2014 04:04 AM

I agree with 2manyhobbies. When dealing with marking tools, you got the better end of a bad outcome. The markings came out! :)

Nan

celwood 07-25-2014 06:11 AM

I am always careful to not use an air erasable pen.

quiltingbuddy 07-25-2014 06:41 AM

Thanks for sharing that, although I'm sorry for the frustration you had to go through! I use a white marking pen that irons out for marking dark fabrics and although the lines I mark take a couple of minutes to appear I do love that pen. Working with light fabrics is so much easier for marking options isn't it?

BuzzinBumble 07-25-2014 08:58 AM

That must have been such a disappointment. It seems like every marking technique has it's caveats!

oldpiglady 07-25-2014 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6814983)
Bummer! Some of the disappearing ink pens look like they are gone but do not iron on the quilt until after the quilt it washed. I saw a report of the brown permanent lines appearing after ironing.

thanks for telling me. I appreciate that. Didn't know that would happen.