Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OH NO!!!!!!!!! I use plastic for alot of things and (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oh-no-i-use-plastic-alot-things-t88974.html)

sewmuch 01-10-2011 02:36 PM

Another plastic user for years and no problems...even store
Xmas decor in plastic tubs in shed outside, no problems...

p38flygirl 01-10-2011 04:02 PM

I will just have to take my chances...I always use plastic bins..

garysgal 01-10-2011 04:41 PM

I have stored fabric in plastic tubs for years and I have never found any spots or anything on any of it.

JeanDal 01-10-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by JulieR

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I have had all fabric for complete quilts (not cut yet) stored in Zip Lock bags for a few years, and when I took them out, there were no problems-that's all the experience I'v had with storing long term in plastic.

Ditto! Anyway, I think I'll take my chances with brown spots when the odds I'll get a mouse, a moth or other downer are much higher

Same for me.

martha jo 01-10-2011 06:32 PM

I have stored fabric in rubbermaid tubs for years and never had a spot or any problem.

jaciqltznok 01-10-2011 06:52 PM

plastic not only gives off toxic gas when exposed to extreme temp changes, the UV rays can penetrate it and cause undo aging/spots on the fabrics. If stored in air tight containers, you cotton can dry rot.
No one here (on this QB list) seems to realize that cotton is a living breathing fiber...if you cut off the air supply it will die(rot)....

quiltgrammyt2 01-10-2011 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
plastic not only gives off toxic gas when exposed to extreme temp changes, the UV rays can penetrate it and cause undo aging/spots on the fabrics. If stored in air tight containers, you cotton can dry rot.
No one here (on this QB list) seems to realize that cotton is a living breathing fiber...if you cut off the air supply it will die(rot)....

How do you store your fabric?

Mattee 01-10-2011 07:05 PM

I think I'm confused by your use of the phrase "living fiber." What exactly does that mean? I'm only used to defining "life" in a biology class, and cotton in a fabric doesn't qualify, as it doesn't excrete waste, absorb food, or reproduce, just to name a few. I think we're having a terminology problem. What does it mean?

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Berta48 01-10-2011 08:01 PM

I have a lot of fabric in the big blue plastic tubs for several years no problem yet.

grammysharon 01-10-2011 10:18 PM

I think as long as they are not in the sun in plastic you are OK! :D