Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Oiling a Jem Gold----Do you do it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/oiling-jem-gold-do-you-do-t59611.html)

Joan 08-15-2010 09:29 PM

I have a little Janome Jem Gold. It is a great machine and I've been using it for almost three years. After reading and rereading the manual, I noted that there is no mention of ever oiling the machine. I have noticed a new sound like a squeak and it made me wonder whether "something" needed to be oiled.

Do you oil these new machines made of plastic and if so where? Do you do it yourself or take it into a sewing machine expert?

Any advice anyone has would be much appreciated! :-P

Sadiemae 08-15-2010 09:53 PM

Many of the new models are made so that we don't oil them, but are expected to take them to be serviced once a year. Most of mine you are supposed to oil the bobbin hook, but I don't know about your model. Janome is a brand I have never owned. Maybe someone will know for sure.

lalaland 08-15-2010 10:05 PM

No, you don't oil them. The only maintenance you can do is to keep the bobbin area clean of debris when you finish a project. If I'm sewing fleece or flannel, I clean the bobbin area 2 or 3 times while I'm working on the project, depending on the size of the project.

These little machines are computerized and have sensors that can really be missed up by the layman. I don't take my machines in to be serviced unless, like you, I hear a funny sound or something just isn't working right no matter what I do to try and correct it.

Annaquilts 08-15-2010 10:05 PM

We have one never oiled it and never took it in for service. I do oil the Janome 6500 like every couple of years. There is a little piece of felt or something in the center of where you install the bobbin on the Janome 6500. Hmm I'll check tomorrow if I see anything like that in the Janome Jem. I have 3 other friends that use the Jem as their main machine and they do not oil either.

Maggiesmom 08-16-2010 04:19 AM

No you don't oil these new machines. Just make sure that the bobbin area is clear of lint or loose threads. If it doesn't stop, you might want to run it by your dealer for them to take a look.

butterflywing 08-16-2010 02:52 PM

i have jem and i want to know, too. i've never had it serviced, because i never heard a wrong sound (on this machine), but if it's supposed to be oiled, let us know.

BellaBoo 08-16-2010 03:33 PM

I have two Janome Gem Golds. As long as they are used often they don't need oiling. It is self lubricating with silicone but only if it's used. If you don't use a self lubricating machine for a long time it will freeze up. The self lulbricating will wear out eventually with constant everyday use but you will have your money's worth out of it by then.

Joan 08-21-2010 05:58 PM

Thanks for your input. It has put my mind at ease and I think I will probably have a sewing machine tech take a look at it by and by!

(this is just another example of all the knowledge the members of this board have!)