Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ok I am stuck!!!!!!Please help!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-i-am-stuck-please-help-t132156.html)

tigertillman 06-21-2011 12:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am going to submit a final pic of the french braid quilt (1st one ever made) then I will show what I am thinking about putting together for the backing. Heres the deal, I made the frenchbraid 110" x 106" and the black is 113 x 103 so I don't have enough. Now the lady going to do the quilting says she needs at least 8" sorounding the top I am thinking about using red and make a cross of 11" x 6" right in the center of the back in order for it to be large enough. There is NO actual red in my frenchbraid. What should I do????? Of course DH says he thinks its not good, but I thpought that so long as it was anything but white or neutral that it IS good. Very Confused

its upside down sorry
[ATTACH=CONFIG]214905[/ATTACH]

back fabrics to use as a cross for the backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]214906[/ATTACH]

LoriEl 06-21-2011 12:33 PM

I think it would be fine. It is on the back after all.

jljack 06-21-2011 12:33 PM

I think those would work fine for the back. It's the BACK of the quilt. It doesn't necessarily have to match. I have lots of quilts with a surprise backing. It's your quilt...do what you want to!! :-) I love our French Braid. I did one a couple of years ago and it's still one of my favorites I have done.

bearisgray 06-21-2011 12:33 PM

I had a huge quilt long-armed - and the long-armer had trouble lining up the stripes on the back (they ended up two inches from where I had hoped they would be)

If you want to put something on the back, I would suggest a design that was offset - so that if it didn't get lined up "exactly so" - it would not be a big deal

sueisallaboutquilts 06-21-2011 12:36 PM

That quilt is GORGEOUS!!! I don't think the back fabric matters- it will be fine, just my OP

neeng 06-21-2011 01:02 PM

I love a French Braid and yours is gorgeous!

I agree with the rest....whatever colours for the back suit your fancy, but offset so if they misalign during quilting you can't tell.

blueangel 06-21-2011 01:02 PM

Very pretty.Don't worry about the back. It will be fine.

blueangel 06-21-2011 01:02 PM

Very pretty.Don't worry about the back. It will be fine.

Rachel 06-21-2011 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I had a huge quilt long-armed - and the long-armer had trouble lining up the stripes on the back (they ended up two inches from where I had hoped they would be)

If you want to put something on the back, I would suggest a design that was offset - so that if it didn't get lined up "exactly so" - it would not be a big deal

I was going to suggest the same thing. Make it intentional that it isn't symetric. Or you could do BIG blocks of the red and black on the back.

mizunogirl 06-21-2011 01:07 PM

red on the back, not a problem! that is a beautiful quilt.