Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ok...silly question, but...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-silly-question-but-t51090.html)

granniebj 06-24-2010 05:22 AM

I want to meet other quilters in my area! The town I live near has over 20,000 people and I have yet to meet anyone who quilts! I've hung out at the quilts entered into the county fair, but the only comments I heard around me were, "I wish I could do that!" We don't have a store that sells fabric. There was a really small quilt show last year at our Applefest, but I was out of town! I know they're out there! I've googled quilt groups and gilds, but was never able to find any that were closer then say 30 miles. Should I take out an ad in the local paper "lonely quilter wants a quilt friend?" lol...I know I know....this group is almost the same thing! Love it in here!

NikkiLu 06-24-2010 05:25 AM

Do you have a sewing machine repair shop in your area? Sometimes they are with a vacuum repair shop too - if so, you could ask in there if they know of any quilters in the area

HTH

sharon b 06-24-2010 05:25 AM

Do you have any friends that do any kind of crafts ?

I am not an outgoing person ( well not the type to join a group)m but I have a friend that loves to crochet. We started getting together and crochet ( I crochet also) then slowly I started doing my quilting when she was around. Now she is quilting with me :wink:

Start a girls night and see what happens

granniebj 06-24-2010 05:31 AM

You know I have quite a few friends but all the ones near me are not too crafty! I can't think of a single one! No machine repair shop either that I'm aware of. My daughter says she would love to learn one day but with 2 jobs and 3 kids...she would never work on it! Plus she would need a sewing machine and money! lol

Beachbound 06-24-2010 05:33 AM

That's a bummer, isn't it? So many people are just too busy to add friends to their life. Good luck, I hope you find a group of quilters.

Charlee 06-24-2010 05:33 AM

I'd call the local senior's center...I know YOU aren't old enough for a place like that, but I can almost guarantee that you find needleworkers of all kinds...and maybe from there find ladies more your age! :)

granniebj 06-24-2010 05:42 AM

Well I'm not too far from qualifing as senior! I'm 58, and I dont mind if they aren't in my age group! I could use a mentor!

thequilterslink 06-24-2010 06:25 AM

good luck on finding a sewing group, maybe put a notice up on grocery store board, check with local churches some of them do sewing for missionary projects.

no1jan 06-24-2010 06:29 AM

Turtlerouge sent out a note to people in PA to get together. Perhaps you could do the same.

Also, if you go under User List, you can search people by locations and PM them.

no1jan 06-24-2010 06:30 AM

I didn't see your reply about being 58. In my area, much to my surprise you only have to be 55 to go to the Senior Center. So I qualified!