Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OK....tell me I can do it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-tell-me-i-can-do-t116428.html)

almostfree 04-15-2011 05:40 PM

I just finished pinning a quilt that I am making for my daughter's birthday....no problem. But now I have to QUILT it! OMG....I am so nervous to even try FMQ! I have practiced and practiced. I look at my practice pieces and think it's not good enough, but if I don't get started on it, I'll never get it done in time for her b-day. All the other quilts I've made, with the exception of a QFK quilt, I sent out to be quilted, but I'm trying to save a buck and do it myself. I suppose I could do SITD, but the pieces are too large for that. (It's a Turning Twenty lap quilt...so it's actually a Turning 12.) I'm getting myself all worked up, I can just feel it. Perhaps you have some easier ideas for quilting patterns. Help!!!!!! :shock:

katieranch 04-15-2011 05:42 PM

You can do it! If you have done all the practicing, just go for it! You can do a nice meandering stitch and it will look great.

emerald46 04-15-2011 05:42 PM

Breathe!! Wiggle your shoulders and relax. Get a good night's sleep and start tomorrow. You'll do great!

Kim Bohannon 04-15-2011 05:43 PM

If the pieces are not really really tiny, you could outline quilt it... about 1/4 " from the seams. that is a very nice way to quilt, and it really shows off your quilt in a nice way.. complements the pattern nicely.

Quilter7x 04-15-2011 05:44 PM

I have an idea - instead of doing stitch in the ditch, draw a diagonal line and do a wavy design on one side and the other side of the line. You won't have to drop your feed dogs, you can use a regular stitch. I've done it and it comes out great!

almostfree 04-15-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I have an idea - instead of doing stitch in the ditch, draw a diagonal line and do a wavy design on one side and the other side of the design. You won't have to drop your feed dogs, you can use a regular stitch. I've done it and it comes out great!

Can I see a picture? It sounds like a good idea.

almostfree 04-15-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kim Bohannon
If the pieces are not really really tiny, you could outline quilt it... about 1/4 " from the seams. that is a very nice way to quilt, and it really shows off your quilt in a nice way.. complements the pattern nicely.

I had thought about that, too. Actually just doing diagonals criss-crossing was another thought. Thanks for your idea! I knew I could count on the wonderful people on this QB for encouragement.

athenagwis 04-15-2011 05:48 PM

Go for it!!! And actually I find SITD to be harder than FMQ. At least with FMQ if you slip a little and get a wonky line, it blends in with the rest of the quilting, if you get a wonky line in the wrong direction with SITD, it can be very obvious. Your daughter will love it no matter what, so don't be afraid!!

Cheers!
Rachel

jayelee 04-15-2011 05:48 PM

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

crafty_linda_b 04-15-2011 05:49 PM

Almost...why not mark it with a motif in the big squares and quilt the design? Might make it go faster..maybe a heart shape? then do the FMQ on the rest of it...
looking forward to seeing the finished quilt..crafty_linda_b