Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: OK....tell me I can do it!

I just finished pinning a quilt that I am making for my daughter's birthday....no problem. But now I have to QUILT it! OMG....I am so nervous to even try FMQ! I have practiced and practiced. I look at my practice pieces and think it's not good enough, but if I don't get started on it, I'll never get it done in time for her b-day. All the other quilts I've made, with the exception of a QFK quilt, I sent out to be quilted, but I'm trying to save a buck and do it myself. I suppose I could do SITD, but the pieces are too large for that. (It's a Turning Twenty lap quilt...so it's actually a Turning 12.) I'm getting myself all worked up, I can just feel it. Perhaps you have some easier ideas for quilting patterns. Help!!!!!! :shock:

You can do it! If you have done all the practicing, just go for it! You can do a nice meandering stitch and it will look great.

Breathe!! Wiggle your shoulders and relax. Get a good night's sleep and start tomorrow. You'll do great!

Blog Entries
    If the pieces are not really really tiny, you could outline quilt it... about 1/4 " from the seams. that is a very nice way to quilt, and it really shows off your quilt in a nice way.. complements the pattern nicely.

Blog Entries
    I have an idea - instead of doing stitch in the ditch, draw a diagonal line and do a wavy design on one side and the other side of the line. You won't have to drop your feed dogs, you can use a regular stitch. I've done it and it comes out great!

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    I have an idea - instead of doing stitch in the ditch, draw a diagonal line and do a wavy design on one side and the other side of the design. You won't have to drop your feed dogs, you can use a regular stitch. I've done it and it comes out great!
    Can I see a picture? It sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Bohannon
    If the pieces are not really really tiny, you could outline quilt it... about 1/4 " from the seams. that is a very nice way to quilt, and it really shows off your quilt in a nice way.. complements the pattern nicely.
    I had thought about that, too. Actually just doing diagonals criss-crossing was another thought. Thanks for your idea! I knew I could count on the wonderful people on this QB for encouragement.

Go for it!!! And actually I find SITD to be harder than FMQ. At least with FMQ if you slip a little and get a wonky line, it blends in with the rest of the quilting, if you get a wonky line in the wrong direction with SITD, it can be very obvious. Your daughter will love it no matter what, so don't be afraid!!

Cheers!
    Rachel

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Almost...why not mark it with a motif in the big squares and quilt the design? Might make it go faster..maybe a heart shape? then do the FMQ on the rest of it...
    looking forward to seeing the finished quilt..crafty_linda_b

Put on some music, take a deep breath, and go for it. You can do it!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by almostfree
    I have an idea - instead of doing stitch in the ditch, draw a diagonal line and do a wavy design on one side and the other side of the line. You won't have to drop your feed dogs, you can use a regular stitch. I've done it and it comes out great!
    Like this. I put the ruler down to show that's where you draw the line, then you just sew a wavy line around the line. I drew lines 3" apart on this and did it in both directions. What's nice about this is that you don't have to be perfect and because you're not dropping the feed dogs, you don't have to worry about your stitches on the backside. You do need to use a walking foot, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    You can do it!

Well, we all know you can do it! Just put on your big girl undies and get with the program there, sis! :lol:

MTS
    Banned
    A Turning Twenty doesn't really have a pattern, right? It's all about showing off the fabrics. It's not like there are supposed to be distinct blocks.

So when I'm faced with that, and have to deal with my very limited FMQ skills, I ignore the quilt blocks. They're so geometric and square and angular, I want to do something different.

So if you look at the pic

Ah, cr&p. I just went bye bye. Give me a moment to retype.

YOU CAN DO IT! I know you can! One of the keys to successful FMQ is to relax! I know! I made a quilt for my daughter last summer. I wanted to take it to a LAQ, but I couldn't afford to. Sooo it was either quilt it myself or have yet another UFO in my closet and a very disappointed daughter. I finished the quilt while she was away at camp last summer. She came home to find it on her bed. She was nine at the time and she was so happy. The quilting is not perfect by any means, but my daughter loves the quilt and I am so glad I went ahead and did it. It doesn't have to be perfect. Trust me. I know.

Like this. I put the ruler down to show that's where you draw the line, then you just sew a wavy line around the line. I drew lines 3" apart on this and did it in both directions. What's nice about this is that you don't have to be perfect and because you're not dropping the feed dogs, you don't have to worry about your stitches on the backside. You do need to use a walking foot, though.
    that looks and sounds like a great plan!

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Well, we all know you can do it! Just put on your big girl undies and get with the program there, sis! :lol:
    LOL! Thanks for the encouragement!

I have an idea - instead of doing stitch in the ditch, draw a diagonal line and do a wavy design on one side and the other side of the design. You won't have to drop your feed dogs, you can use a regular stitch. I've done it and it comes out great!
    I like it! It looks harder than it is...and that's what I want. I do have a walking foot, so it's do-able. Thanks for the pics!

Blog Entries
    I like it! It looks harder than it is...and that's what I want. I do have a walking foot, so it's do-able. Thanks for the pics!
    You're welcome. This is actually very easy to do. Try it on a sandwich first and then you'll see how easy it is. A local quilt shop owner who does LA services told me about this.

MTS
    Banned
    Here's the best way I can explain it.

I draw a swooping X on the quilt. I don't start in the corners, and I don't want it to be perfectly centered.

The color shapes in the picture just represent the four uneven curved quadrants I drew.

So I'd sew on the line for the big X. Then, with chalk or a marker or basting thread, I bisect each quadrant - those are the straight lines in the picture (and it doesn't have to be perfect).

Starting in the yellow quadrant, I'd start quilting about 1 inch (or more or less, it's up to you) from the previous line, echoing the gentle curve. When I hit that bisecting line, I stop, turn the quilt, and go back up to the top of the yellow section. And just keep going. When you're done, you go onto the next quadrant. You'd be surprised at how quickly it goes.

It creates a great pattern, you're using the walking foot, and if you've got some variegated thread, it's even better.
    It doesn't get in the way of the blocks, and the blocks don't get in the way of the quilting.

I quilt on a Bernina using the #4 stitch (I think it's a #29 on a Janome) which is a slightly wavy stitch. It's not sharp like a zig-zag. It adds a great texture to the quilt.

I lost all my pics in a hard drive crash last year so I can't show you an example. So I hope that rambling explanation made some sense.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MTS
    Banned
    So, duh, we're all in general agreement. ;-) ;-)

Blog Entries
    You CAN do it :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by MTS
    Here's the best way I can explain it.

I draw a swooping X on the quilt. I don't start in the corners, and I don't want it to be perfectly centered.

The color shapes in the picture just represent the four uneven curved quadrants I drew.

So I'd sew on the line for the big X. Then, with chalk or a marker or basting thread, I bisect each quadrant - those are the straight lines in the picture (and it doesn't have to be perfect).

Starting in the yellow quadrant, I'd start quilting about 1 inch (or more or less, it's up to you) from the previous line, echoing the gentle curve. When I hit that bisecting line, I stop, turn the quilt, and go back up to the top of the yellow section. And just keep going. When you're done, you go onto the next quadrant. You'd be surprised at how quickly it goes.

It creates a great pattern, you're using the walking foot, and if you've got some variegated thread, it's even better.
    It doesn't get in the way of the blocks, and the blocks don't get in the way of the quilting.

I quilt on a Bernina using the #4 stitch (I think it's a #29 on a Janome) which is a slightly wavy stitch. It's not sharp like a zig-zag. It adds a great texture to the quilt.

I lost all my pics in a hard drive crash last year so I can't show you an example. So I hope that rambling explanation made some sense.
    Thanks for trying to explain! And the picture!

Love the quilting ideas for the non FMQ people like me. I am in the stage of trying to learn :0).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast