Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ok what have I done wrg with this corner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-what-have-i-done-wrg-corner-t239545.html)

twinkie 01-25-2014 04:47 AM

I have to agree with paper princess. Looks good.

petpainter 01-25-2014 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6532237)
This is a common design layout. It depends on if you have an even or odd number of repeats of your border block on that side of the quilt. Just remove the HST block in the corner and replace it with a plain square. The opposite corners should match each other, with two being blunted and the other 2 squared off. As you look at quilt pictures you will find other quilts with this pattern. This is one of the reasons why sketching out your quilt is a good idea.

That's one of my biggest fears in quilting, so I sketch/measure everything out, too.

sewbizgirl 01-25-2014 06:26 AM

Looks like a mathmatics problem... The outer triangles would have come out right if they were a smaller size. So sorry...

quiltmom04 01-25-2014 06:27 AM

It looks like you made the border and then just put it on, rather than centering the triangles. Plus, it appears you didn't work out how many triangles should fit on th border because you ended up with a half a triangle on both the side and the end. At this point, if th borders aren't sewn on yet, I'd center the borders and do a setting square on the corners. I like the way there's a little red stripe on the triangles - looks cool!

yonnikka 01-25-2014 06:32 AM

There is another approach when working with fancy pieced Corners. Take your four long pieced border strips, and match the corners first, with pins. Then continue to lay your border toward the MIDDLE of the quilt, both top and bottom, and make your adjustments in the middle. Then do the same for the sides: work from the Corners down towards the middle. Make adjustments necessary, such as re-working the size of your triangle pieces. In some cases, it may be necessary to make your pieced border pieces MORE NARROW, in order to fit and match.

AliKat 01-25-2014 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6532237)
This is a common design layout. It depends on if you have an even or odd number of repeats of your border block on that side of the quilt. Just remove the HST block in the corner and replace it with a plain square. The opposite corners should match each other, with two being blunted and the other 2 squared off. As you look at quilt pictures you will find other quilts with this pattern. This is one of the reasons why sketching out your quilt is a good idea.

Using the dark red as the cornerstones would probably hide the problem.....

MargeD 01-25-2014 08:57 AM

I agree with drivingsusan, that adding another HST and moving the border down it should be OK.

duckydo 01-26-2014 05:31 AM

I agree with PaperPrincess, I would just replace the HST in the corners with the green... Frustrating when you run into these kinds of quirkey little problems..Thanks for sharing. I would of just been frustrated and probably of left it and then been uphappy with it. I'm always afraid the quilt police are lurking out there, but everone on this board is always so helpful.

lisalovesquilting 01-26-2014 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6533158)
What if, instead of working from one side to the other, you worked from both sides simultaneously? Your corners will all be the same, and you'll have one small block in the center that you can play around with. Maybe make it solid, or have it be a point.

Yes this is what I would do also.

noveltyjunkie 01-26-2014 10:19 AM

This is the type of thing that would happen to me! I've learned the hard way that it is necessary to 'do the math', particularly if I am changing the size or scale of anything in the pattern (which is pretty much always, in my case)A sketch, using graph paper, can also be enormously valuable for heading off problems.