Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The "old" Coats & Clark Dual Duty Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-coats-clark-dual-duty-thread-t306993.html)

bearisgray 09-19-2019 10:25 AM

The "old" Coats & Clark Dual Duty Thread

I have used it on several quilts that are over twenty years old that have been washed multiple times.

The thread does not cut into the fabric - as some people have "supposed" it would.

I have no idea where that myth came from - but my experience with that thread is that is works fine.

At the time, I had no knowledge of the other "good/better" brands of thread available. I did know that there were some "cheaper" - lesser quality - brands around that were easily available.

Stitchnripper 09-19-2019 10:27 AM

I still use it. No issues. It’s been said that it turns out more expensive than other brands but sometimes I like a color and it is easy to come by. I also use several other brands.

origamigoldfish 09-19-2019 10:32 AM

I use coats and clark, along with a couple other brands. As long as it's the mercerized cotton, I have noticed no difference on my new machine. On my old one, the coats and clark was a little more linty, but not enough to complain about. If anything, taking a few seconds every time I change a bobbin to brush the dust and lint out of my machine while I have the plate off is a good habit to have.

Jingle 09-19-2019 11:40 AM

I use it most of the time it works for me.

Iceblossom 09-19-2019 12:38 PM

I think the old concern about it was the old saw about like threads with like materials, supposedly because it was cotton wrapped poly core it would be too stiff/brittle/hard for the cotton material but was best used with blends.

But I used basically nothing but Dual Duty for 30-40 years for sewing, quilting, top thread, bottom thread, etc. and it always worked just fine with no appreciable damage.

Now we have poly threads specifically for quilting with cotton. Just bought a cone of Sew Fine to use as a bobbin thread and no one says "oh no, not on cotton quilts!".

Onebyone 09-19-2019 01:24 PM

No store or shop carries Coats and Clark thread, not even Walmart here. So I don't use it. It use to be the only thread available anywhere. The newer machines that have internal threading need little or no lint thread. Open threading it really makes no difference as the air carries away much of the lint.

Quilt30 09-19-2019 01:36 PM

Any time I find the older coats dual duty thread, I grab it. It was good stuff.

bakermom 09-19-2019 02:22 PM

I use Coats and Clark pretty much exclusively. Never have any problems.

Irishrose2 09-19-2019 02:35 PM

I like the old C & C, but intensely dislike the new C & C. It's just too stiff.

SusieQOH 09-19-2019 03:23 PM

When I started sewing a million years ago it's the only brand I remember. Then I started buying those skinny spools (forgot the name ) and now have several different brands but no longer use C & C. I don't even know where you can buy it.