Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Old School Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-school-quilting-t141171.html)

Joyce Ann 07-31-2011 05:54 AM

Very interesting Thanks for sharing

Ladyjanedoe 07-31-2011 05:59 AM

It is pretty impressive. Personally, I think we've begun to really get away from the skill in the craft when there are so many gizmos, etc. that make it easier.Factor in that now a lot of people don't even finish their own work and it's not really the same.

JenelTX 07-31-2011 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by niizh
The seventh year, each child was given a "blue ribbon" quilt for Christmas. ... We don't used blankets on our beds, we use Mama's quilts.

Wow, what an amazing legacy your mama left to you! I have tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing that sweet story.

southernmema 07-31-2011 06:42 AM

OMG! This brought tears to my eyes. This is how I did it when I started quilting in the 60's. To this day, I do not do too well with a rotary cutter. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Annaquilts 07-31-2011 07:33 AM

I love it. Thanks for sharing this link.

hpylady 07-31-2011 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
That is how I learned. When I returned to quiliting in the 2000's it was amazing how those gagets helped with accuracy. You don't need them all but a few of them do make quiliting easier. Quilting should always be fun. When it becomes work and not a joy then, why are we doing it? If a plastic template and a few gagets make it fun, go for it.

Can you imagine quiliting with scraps of discarded or worn out clothing? You only had a scissors, needle and thread and were perhaps riding in a wagon or sitting by a fire to complete a blanket to keep your family warm. We are privledged and should be thankful for our blessings. None-the-less we honor the craft, the creativity and the skills of quilters from around the world and across time with our efforts.

So true, very well said! I could picture it as I read it. We are really spoiled these days aren't we with our gadgets?

Campbell34 07-31-2011 08:45 AM

I do not send my quilts out to be quilted, I personally feel that a quilt is not finished until you quilt it , some of mine are hand quilted and some are machine quilted, it is not easy to quilt a kingsize quilt by machine but like my fourth grade teacher used to tell me when I went to school in a one room schoolhouse in the sierra foothills many years ago, Don't say "can't "say "can't hardly" :thumbup: :XD: :thumbup:

sew1 07-31-2011 01:36 PM

Wow and to think we need all the modern technology to do this. She is such an inspiration. Simple sometimes is better. Thank you for sharing. Loved the video.

CAS49OR 07-31-2011 01:50 PM

Does this video have sound? I can't hear it if it does.
I also noticed it is 30 minutes long, hard to post a video like that now.

kellen46 07-31-2011 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR
Does this video have sound? I can't hear it if it does.
I also noticed it is 30 minutes long, hard to post a video like that now.

It does have sound. Look for the little sound logo in the far right bottom corner click on it to turn it up.