Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Old School Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-school-quilting-t141171.html)

Pam H 07-31-2011 03:02 PM

The simplicity of her quilting and her life is so inspiring. I will inherit a quilting frame from my mil one day.....I wonder if I will use it.....I hope so.

CAS49OR 07-31-2011 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by kellen46

Originally Posted by CAS49OR
Does this video have sound? I can't hear it if it does.
I also noticed it is 30 minutes long, hard to post a video like that now.

It does have sound. Look for the little sound logo in the far right bottom corner click on it to turn it up.

I did that and still could barely hear it. I do have loud sound on my laptop. Altec Lansing noise makers.

RkayD 07-31-2011 03:48 PM

reminds me so much of my grandma. =) thank you for the link.

madamekelly 07-31-2011 08:07 PM

Thank you for a walk down memory lane. My adopted Grandparents were just like this couple. I miss them. *smile* :thumbup:

lalaland 07-31-2011 08:16 PM

I still have some of my cupboard templates!!

Sew Krazy Girl 07-31-2011 11:17 PM

Thank you so much for the link to this inspiring film. Kathleen truly had the American Pioneer Spirit. I don't think she worried too much about 1/4" seams. And did you see how her mitered corners came out just right? A wonderful film indeed.

ladyredhawk 08-01-2011 12:58 AM

boy, you must be young. I started out on a wooden square frame that came down from the celling.I so prefer todays way alot better.

kaykwilts 08-01-2011 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
That is how I learned. When I returned to quiliting in the 2000's it was amazing how those gagets helped with accuracy. You don't need them all but a few of them do make quiliting easier. Quilting should always be fun. When it becomes work and not a joy then, why are we doing it? If a plastic template and a few gagets make it fun, go for it.

Can you imagine quiliting with scraps of discarded or worn out clothing? You only had a scissors, needle and thread and were perhaps riding in a wagon or sitting by a fire to complete a blanket to keep your family warm. We are privledged and should be thankful for our blessings. None-the-less we honor the craft, the creativity and the skills of quilters from around the world and across time with our efforts.

Actually, yes...I can imagine quilting with scraps from discarded clothing. (of course, that is where the imagining ends!!!) In the "spirit of our Grandmothers" I sometimes challenge myself to use only discarded clothing, only what I have on hand, paper templates and scissors, can only hand quilt it or tie it, and have to finish it before the winter sets in just to see what it felt like to have to finish something so a child could be warm.....maybe a little nutty, but I really like doing stuff like that, as it helps me to understand, just a little, what our great-great Grandmothers must have felt like. Of course, I can't fully know how it was or felt for them, as at any time I can put a project like that down, and go back to my "modern" way of making quilts.

jeanharville 08-01-2011 03:02 PM

I couldn't hear either, so I plugged in ear-phones and that solved the problem. So try that.

jean

grammy17 08-01-2011 03:39 PM

Thank you so much for posting. I thoroughly enjoyed watching that lady. My neighbor used to make quilts when I was in my 20s. She cut her templates out of fine sandpaper so they wouldn't move around on the fabric. That woman had a great eye for color.