Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Old School Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-school-quilting-t141171.html)

JENNR8R 07-30-2011 05:22 AM

OHMYGOSH! She didn't use a zazillion pins to match the rows and rows of different fabrics in the lone star! How'd she do that so effortlessly?... and I didn't see a seam ripper either. :shock:

sinceresissy 07-30-2011 05:37 AM

Guess what? I still quilt this way. I love the simplicity of it. I can cut a few pieces out and get ready for the next quilt while I am finishing a quilt. I don't have to hurry. I don't have a special room. I can pick it up when I want to and take it with me. It is a wonderful way to quilt. Also an in expensive way.

GloBug 07-30-2011 05:41 AM

Thanks for sharing, It brings back a lot of memories.

angiecub 07-30-2011 05:44 AM

My aunts still quilt this way, only they piece and quilt by hand also. They are young women (56 and 62) who are continuing the old fashioned methods.

vivoaks 07-30-2011 05:51 AM

her sewing room looks like mine!! :mrgreen:

Homemother 07-30-2011 05:56 AM

That's pretty amazing! All that quilting done by hand. She makes quilting easy. I'm impressed she gets her whole family involved at whatever level they are able. Thanks for sharing the video!

chergram 07-30-2011 05:58 AM

I tried to watch but could not get the sound would very much like to watch as I am very interested in doing quilts the old time way I tried to turn up sound as as much would go on computer but did not work can some one tell me how to get sound up so can hear if there is anyone on the board that still cuts with sissors and template frugal quilting I would very much like to hear from them so pm me if interested

TymeToShine 07-30-2011 05:59 AM

This is how I learned to do it in '72. No internet at the time either, so no helpful hints. Started with 2 completely made by hand quilts which took a year each to complete. Then did an embroidery kit top and hand quilted it. Enjoyed all three. Many years went by with no quilting and I got back into it about 6 months ago...and WOW!!! just the cutting mat and rotary cutter alone is such an improvement over the template and scissors. And learning to do FMQ on top of that! Awesome improvements!

Great-great granny 07-30-2011 05:59 AM

Thanks so much for sharing this & acknowledging beauty could be created without all the 'new gadgets'.

I started out this way & do appreciate many of the new ways - especially the rotary cutter/mat. But since my budget dictates much of my life now, I still have a 'plain jane' sewing machine over 25 hrs old, & use a 3 roller quilt frame for hand quilting.

I absolutely LOVE all the beauties I see on here & the tips shared. But even thou I have my share of 'blue ribbons' from years ago, I have to admit many times I'm intimidated by all the new, modern techniques I see used here.

Have a blessed day & may all your quilts be filled w/love.

sandy12010 07-30-2011 06:00 AM

WOW that was absolute beautiful work... Thanks for sharing the video...It was amazing..